How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Persephone

How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim?

Post by Persephone »

Pulled all my trim off including the piece of cladding that was falling off my door. I have the double sided 3M trim tape and everything I need to put it back, but now I'm having trouble getting the old adhesive off. I'd like some advice!! This needs to come off. >.< And not destroy my paint in the process. . . And fast!! I don't want to drive around like this and be "one of those people". lol
My lovely Gambit.
KITT222

Re: How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim? (Persephone)

Post by KITT222 »

Goo Gone. It works MAGIC. Pour it on the car, and rub with a cloth. That is how I got the stuff off when I debadged my doors.
Persephone

Re: How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim? (KITT222)

Post by Persephone »

Really? I guess I could try again. It wasn't working too well for me. The stupid foooam keeps me from reaching the adhesive.
My lovely Gambit.
KITT222

Re: How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim? (Persephone)

Post by KITT222 »

It is a bit of work, but its great. You can also heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer. I debadged when it was nearly 100 out, and it made all the difference. One badge I nearly pulled right off the car, no floss or goo gone.
CAMOGIRL

Re: How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim? (KITT222)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Most definitely heat helps. Get it warm, pick the foam off best you can, THEN go for the goo gone. I too debadged in 100+ heat, so my foam kinda rubbed off, and then I took off the sticky residue with the goo gone
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
vibenvy

Re: How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim? (CAMOGIRL)

Post by vibenvy »

I have always used WD40 with excellent results.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
06pvibe

Re: How do I get the old adhesive off when re-sticking my trim? (CAMOGIRL)

Post by 06pvibe »

What they said....A heat gun used carefully or even a hair dryer (which will take much more time,) are the best ways.You need to get down to the adhesive, through the foam in order for the Goo Gone to work. A finger, rubbed raw, is usually the best, if not most painful solution.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
DoubleBaril

Post by DoubleBaril »

If there is a fair amount of foam left still, you could use dental floss and slowly get behind it and work it back and forth until the main layer comes off, then use the goo gone or bug n tar remover to take off the residue
2003 Vibe AWD
Persephone

Re: (DoubleBaril)

Post by Persephone »

Thanks for the tips, guys!! Darn my ambition. . . I shouldn't have done this when the weather is NOT going to come up very high at all for the rest of the year. . .
My lovely Gambit.
Persephone

Re: (Persephone)

Post by Persephone »

Really having trouble with this. ._. I WILL manage it, but gosh, it's so not being easy. . . Goo-gone and warm water got all the adhesive off my trim pieces, which are now carbon fiber vinyl coated, stuck with double sided trim tape and completely ready to go, but I STILL have adhesive stuck to a few places. It's really bad on the driver's side back door. Are there big guns to pull out on this one? I just really want to finally complete this project. x_xI guess I still haven't heated it because it's so cold outside. I'd have to visit a friend of mine and use her garage again, which isn't very warm and I don't have a heat gun. So I'd be using a blow drier.
My lovely Gambit.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I would use a blow drier and stay away from a heat gun. If you're careful, a heat gun can destroy your paint. Do it in your friend's garage to help stay out of the cold. Have fun!
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Persephone

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by Persephone »

I got impatient and took a blow drier outside into 40 degree weather. My brother helped me! He held the blow drier and I rubbed at the adhesive with a roughly textured rag. It worked SO WELL. Oh my gosh, I wish I had used heat all along. -_- Goo gone and WD-40 weren't doing the rest of the job for me. I just didn't think it would be warm enough with as cold as it is outside but it was!! I'm going to get to put everything back on tomorrow in my friend's garage. The only thing I'm sad about is that I got a NASTY blister from rubbing at the adhesive and now I can't type very well.Come on. I'm a maid. I have callouses from rubbing at things all the time and mopping and I still get a blister?!This is about what Gambit's looking like without everything minus the adhesive you see. lol Poor guy looks like a junker. And I look like one of those people who drives a junker!!Also I got this in the mail today from A Psycho Martyr. :D Thankfully it wasn't difficult to put in! My blister couldn't handle any more crazy projects this day. lol It can hardly handle typing this post! >.I am so excited to be getting Gambit put back together! Pictures coming tomorrow~!
My lovely Gambit.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

It looks pretty good if you ignore that missing cladding. I thought that the rear trim was put on with body clips. Evidently I'm wrong. Cool! I'm eager to see Gambit up and going again. (I copied the image location by right-clicking. I have no idea why your pics aren't working.)
Persephone

Re: (KITT222)

Post by Persephone »

I didn't put the right links in. Fixed now, though. Ooops!! Thanks for looking anyway. Haha! The guys at CarQuest said I had to bring my car to show them as soon as I was done because they thought the carbon fiber looked great on the trim pieces. And they complimented my son in his doggles sitting in the passenger seat waiting for me. XD
My lovely Gambit.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Persephone »And they complimented my son in his doggles sitting in the passenger seat waiting for me.(removed)! That is the cutest picture ever ! He's soooooo cute ! What breed/s is he?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Face looks like q Shepard. Great pic!!Anyways, dental floss, fishing string, blow dryer. That should get the foam backing off. But you're right. It's not easy doing that when it's not hot and sunny out! Good luck!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

Thanks, guys!He's 1/2 pit bull, 1/4 blue heeler, and 1/4 samoyed! He's an awesome kid. And it wasn't stiff enough for the floss to work, which really sucked. D: lol
My lovely Gambit.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

He's soooo cool in his goggles, and he knows it.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.