Pictures of a 2009 roof rack?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
onegriggabyte

Pictures of a 2009 roof rack?

Post by onegriggabyte »

Hello, I removed my 2009 Vibe's roof rack. This left the 4 spaces in the track where the old rack attached. I spoke to my local dealer and he was unsure, but ordered the covers for the spaces. I have seen these covers installed when I have pulled up behind Vibe/Matrix without the rack. The issue is how these covers attach? In the exploded views it doesn't show that you need anything else to connect these covers..Can anyone that doesn't have a rack possibly take a couple pictures of how these covers attach so I can see what is missing? I would really appreciate it!!Thanks in advance!Justin
star_deceiver

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack? (onegriggabyte)

Post by star_deceiver »

Here's what I have:Did you just order the plastic or the metal assembly as well?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
onegriggabyte

Post by onegriggabyte »

They just sent the plastic piece! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!Justin
star_deceiver

Re: (onegriggabyte)

Post by star_deceiver »

No prob!
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I scanned and created two PDF files of the Roof rack and the Roof Trim cover from the Service Manual. See next post for the roof trim.Here is the 09 Roof Rack attached here:

Attached files 09roofrack.pdf (80.3 KB) 
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Here is the Roof trim (09 roof trim. PDF) pages from the 2009 service manual:Because the Book is really thick, the pages have black shading along the edges

Attached files 09RoofTrim.pdf (70.9 KB) 
lmh79

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack? (Ivibe)

Post by lmh79 »

I just got back from the dealer. I tried explaining to the parts guy that I needed to get the plastic cover that goes over the gap after I remove my cross bars. He had no idea what I was talking about. He seemed to search several areas in his computer, but found nothing. Is there a part number on the cover that I could tell him?thanks!
vibenvy

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack? (lmh79)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by lmh79 »I just got back from the dealer. I tried explaining to the parts guy that I needed to get the plastic cover that goes over the gap after I remove my cross bars. He had no idea what I was talking about. He seemed to search several areas in his computer, but found nothing. Is there a part number on the cover that I could tell him?thanks!hole cover - either side: #19184013 - MSRP: $8.53For future reference, GM Parts Direct is a great website to look parts up on since many dealer parts people tend to not be that intelligent .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
caz5512

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack? (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by caz5512 »

I have a 2009 Vibe and have a few questions:1) Could somebody clear up which parts and quantity I need to remove the factory roof. Putting in a cargo box/Thule system and I want to cover the holes. I am not clear from this thread on exactly what I need. I seem to understand that I need 2 different parts (4 times each?) 4x The metal assembly4x Plastic covers? The plastic covers (from this thread) seem to be #19184013, right?I would rather not go to my dealer as they seem pretty clueless for such things.2) I am willing to sell my "leftover" factory rack if anybody is interested. I will most likely post a new thread about it when I have purchased the Thule system and what I need to plug the holes.Thanks for any help.
vibenvy

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack? (caz5512)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by caz5512 »I have a 2009 Vibe and have a few questions:1) Could somebody clear up which parts and quantity I need to remove the factory roof. Putting in a cargo box/Thule system and I want to cover the holes. I am not clear from this thread on exactly what I need. I seem to understand that I need 2 different parts (4 times each?) 4x The metal assembly4x Plastic covers? The plastic covers (from this thread) seem to be #19184013, right?I would rather not go to my dealer as they seem pretty clueless for such things.2) I am willing to sell my "leftover" factory rack if anybody is interested. I will most likely post a new thread about it when I have purchased the Thule system and what I need to plug the holes.Thanks for any help.From what the illustartion on GM Parts Direct shows (I verified on my 09 GT as well), you will need 4 hole covers (#5 in illustration), 4 upper retainers (#6 in illustration), 4 lower retainers (#7 in illustration) and 8 bolts (#8 in illustration). The part numbers are listed below.Hole cover - either side: #19184013 - MSRP: $8.53 / GMPD: $5.13Bolt - either side: #19184018 - MSRP: $3.83 / GMPD: $2.31Upper retainer - either side: #19184014 - MSRP: $7.95 / GMPD: $4.78Lower retainer - either side: #19184016 - MSRP: $15.44 / GMPD: $9.29
caz5512

Post by caz5512 »

Really? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.BUT: That means I am 100 bucks into this rack before I even get the other one? That makes me even more mad that the "rack" is totally useless for any other reason than aesthetics....All of these parts come with 09-10 vibes that don't have the rack?Maybe I will just ask someone to swap me the parts for the rack...I could send them the rack and one they put it on they send me the parts
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by caz5512 »Really? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.BUT: That means I am 100 bucks into this rack before I even get the other one? That makes me even more mad that the "rack" is totally useless for any other reason than aesthetics....All of these parts come with 09-10 vibes that don't have the rack?Maybe I will just ask someone to swap me the parts for the rack...I could send them the rack and one they put it on they send me the parts You're very welcome .Unfortunately GM prices tend to be pretty ridiculous, even on small things (in case you haven't noticed ). Yes, those are all the parts that come on a non-roof rack equipped 09-10 Vibe. You could try posting in the For Sale Forum to see if anyone wanted to trade you their non-roof rack equipment for your roof rack equipment, You could also search car-part.com for junkyards near you. I'm betting finding a non-roof rack equipped 09-10 Vibe would be much easier than finding one with a roof rack.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

You could also try Toyota. They are usually cheaper. And I say its worth finding an 09-10 without the rack and pulling the parts. Chances are they'd be $20-$30 max. And there are plenty of totaled 09-10s near me (just not for parts. I think).
Parker51

Post by Parker51 »

If you have the factory 09 Pontiac Vibe Roof Rack rack, once you remove the rack, per the manual, all you should need are the plastic covers. If however you have an 09 Toyota Matrix Roof Rack, then yes, you will need all the parts indicated. Some people have chosen to put the Toyota Rack on the 09 or 10 Vibe as they believe it looks better. It resembles the earlier Vibe Roof Rack and has sides and more conventional looking cross bars than the factory rack that was available for the 09 & 10 Vibe.
star_deceiver

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack? (Parker51)

Post by star_deceiver »

The plastic covers clip onto the little metal carriage. Otherwise they'd simply fly off.
dvgb173

Post by dvgb173 »

Quote, originally posted by caz5512 »Really? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.BUT: That means I am 100 bucks into this rack before I even get the other one? That makes me even more mad that the "rack" is totally useless for any other reason than aesthetics....All of these parts come with 09-10 vibes that don't have the rack?Maybe I will just ask someone to swap me the parts for the rack...I could send them the rack and one they put it on they send me the parts What makes that rack useless? Can't you use those bars with Thule equipment?I ask because that was going to be my solution. My Yakima rack dented the body above the doors.Is it a spacing issue?
Doug B.09 Vibe GT - Red
caz5512

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack? (dvgb173)

Post by caz5512 »

I took it to a local rack store and the guy told me to ditch the rack.Thule and other don't support it. The clips don't exist and the universal ones are not a good fit. Spacing is an issue as well as placement (the rack should be more "forward"). The way it is shipped now, there is NO way to have the cargo box allow the hatch to open even close to fully.The way the guy explained it, a standard Thule rack (400xt and such) will allow a more forward placement and proper fit. This *should* allow me to open the hatch at least 3/4 of the way with a decent size cargo box.I have not moved on any of this yet as it seemed like a multi-step project and I have had no time.Still looking into what to do...
ctgottapee

Re: Pictures of a 2009 roof rack?

Post by ctgottapee »

not to resurrect and dead thread, but here is the info needed that wasn't clear for those who want to get rid or replace their rack.

The clip retainers are NOT installed under the roof racks that come from the factory, so if you want to use the stock filler clips, you need to order them or find another way to keep them in. The only thing under the rack is a thin film gasket. The bolts can be reused.
>Upper retainer - either side: #19184014 - MSRP: $7.95 / GMPD: $4.78
>Lower retainer - either side: #19184016 - MSRP: $15.44 / GMPD: $9.29

The cover clips are thin plastic, unlike the rubber roof rail. And you will have an outline of the larger rack boot on your paint, but clay compound will clean it up.

Removing the rack is fairly easy.
The outer shell is attached by 2 clips pointing down on the front and rear of the rack base, and one sliding clip in the center top(see diagram, although it is likely just as confusing)
roofrack.gif
roofrack.gif (9.36 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
The entire rack is held on by two M12 bolts on each side; they have plenty of locktite on them so they might be tight to break loose.
The bolts go through roof and there is an interior loose bracket underneath - carriage bolts or similar are not welded to the roof. If you take off the rack and are not using the oem replacement clips, you have to reinstall the bolts or the frame clip underneath the roof will rattle as the bolts no longer hold it in place.
roofrack11.jpg
roofrack11.jpg (119.88 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
roofrack22.jpg
roofrack22.jpg (115.94 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
I decided to just use some black silicone, a large dab on each bolt head that contacts the cover, and a little thin strip on the leading edge. Nothing is holding in the rest of the rubber roof rails, they are just pushed into the groove and loose to allow water to drain, so this may not work in extreme situations, like if you blast it with a pressure washer.

FWIW: The clips retainers and plastic covers seem like a silly solution, if the default model has no roof rack. A lot of diff parts for a std config. Another chunk of rubber with inserts to fit in the bolts wholes would look a whole lot better.
Gohan77

Post by Gohan77 »

So for someone who doesnt want their roof racks i just remove the bolts and take off the racks and then cover the holes with a plastic cover? Is it that simple? Or am i missing a step?
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Gohan77 wrote:So for someone who doesnt want their roof racks i just remove the bolts and take off the racks and then cover the holes with a plastic cover? Is it that simple? Or am i missing a step?
Pretty much. If you don't want your racks I'll take them. :lol:
Gohan77

Post by Gohan77 »

gtv237 wrote:
Gohan77 wrote:So for someone who doesnt want their roof racks i just remove the bolts and take off the racks and then cover the holes with a plastic cover? Is it that simple? Or am i missing a step?

Im still deciding whether or not to remove them... I intend on getting a gt spoiler and i dont know if the racks and spoiler would look right together..
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Gohan77 wrote:
gtv237 wrote:

Im still deciding whether or not to remove them... I intend on getting a gt spoiler and i dont know if the racks and spoiler would look right together..
Here's a GT with aftermarket racks if it makes your decision any easier.

Gohan77

Post by Gohan77 »

Here's a GT with aftermarket racks if it makes your decision any easier.

Image[/quote]

I see. Thank you. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad keeping them on? Im open to opinions haha
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

gtv237 wrote:Here's a GT with aftermarket racks if it makes your decision any easier.

I'm 99.9% sure that's an OEM Matrix roof rack, not an aftermarket one.
Gohan77 wrote:Maybe it wouldnt be so bad keeping them on? Im open to opinions haha
Personally, I think the 2009-2010 Vibes look best without any roof rack, but the OEM Matrix roof rack definitely looks a lot better than the OEM Vibe roof rack.

Check out this thread for more pictures of an OEM Matrix roof rack on a 2010 Vibe.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

IF you remove the roof rack, you need the covers

HOWEVER, the metal bracket piece underneath that holds the covers on doesn't come with the cars that have roof racks.
So you either have to buy those metal clips, or like I noted in my post, I used some window black silicone to tack them on.
The bolts underneath almost touch the covers, so a big dab of silicone on the bolt heads with keep the covers on.
You can't quite tell with the roof rack on, but the long rubber strip along the roof rail is just sitting in there; you can probably pull on it a bit at the ends to see this, so you need something that will hold the thin plastic clips on

Those metal clips are not cheap so I tried it without and it worked
Maybe you can arrange a swap with someone and get their roof covers and brackets
ralphgonz

Alternative solution

Post by ralphgonz »

This thread has been very helpful, thank you to all who posted!

I too was put off by the cheesy look of the 2009/2010 Vibe roof rack. I also noticed that many cars (including my wife's minivan) have black uprights with naked aluminum crossbars, and realized that it is exactly the aluminum-look plastic boots that make my roof rack look cheesy.

So the simple/cheap solution is to pop the plastic boots off (you need a screwdriver to pop the front and back off, then pull toward you to get it off the sliding clip), sand them down, and spray paint black. I used a can of black satin Rust-oleum Universal paint-and-primer-in-one that I found in the garage. Here are before/after photos. Most people might not notice, but to me it totally transforms the look!
IMG_2015.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg (457.59 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
IMG_2027.jpg
IMG_2027.jpg (452.07 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
Next step is to get a quote on sandblasting/powder coating the chrome wheel covers black!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

ralphgonz wrote:This thread has been very helpful, thank you to all who posted!

I too was put off by the cheesy look of the 2009/2010 Vibe roof rack. I also noticed that many cars (including my wife's minivan) have black uprights with naked aluminum crossbars, and realized that it is exactly the aluminum-look plastic boots that make my roof rack look cheesy.

So the simple/cheap solution is to pop the plastic boots off (you need a screwdriver to pop the front and back off, then pull toward you to get it off the sliding clip), sand them down, and spray paint black. I used a can of black satin Rust-oleum Universal paint-and-primer-in-one that I found in the garage. Here are before/after photos. Most people might not notice, but to me it totally transforms the look!

Next step is to get a quote on sandblasting/powder coating the chrome wheel covers black!
Black definitely does look better than silver! Black wheels will look good too!