How To- Rear Bumper Removal

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
DjGodspeed89

How To- Rear Bumper Removal

Post by DjGodspeed89 »

This is pretty simple as long as you arent scared of it. Only eight or so holding points (four on each side). So... Here we go.First remove these on both sides..Then remove this panel by feeling along the bottom of it until you feel tabs that are holding on and pop it off. *Tricky*Now... You see those four little rectangles? There are bolts in there with 10mm nuts on them, this is tricky too. I dont think they make deep enough sockets for this so a wrench is going to have to be used. NEXT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I know some of you might be protective of your wheel well paneling, but this wont hurt it, there is a 10mm screw on both sides of the vehicle.LAST!!!!!!!No picture, But easy, lay on the ground and look at the bottom of the bumper. Retainers. use a flat head to carefully take these out, dont tear them up for christs sake, they are there for a reason. You need them!The bumper cover will come off now. Have a friend help you pop the sides of the bumper off of the vehicle. TA DA !!!! GOOD LUCK
I pity the FOOL who ain't Vibin'!
Chiadog

Re: How To- Rear Bumper Removal

Post by Chiadog »

Has anyone got better rear bumper removal instructions? This one leaves a lot to the imagination. Thanks,
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

Chiadog wrote:Has anyone got better rear bumper removal instructions? This one leaves a lot to the imagination. Thanks,
The only other thread I found was this:

viewtopic.php?t=43246
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Thanks Baltovibe!
Narrative is a little hard to understand, ", a bolt attaching the bumper to the bumper at the tip of the bumper corners,", but I'm sure it will make more sense when I start removing trim. Thanks again,
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

If you have the time you could use the opportunity to rewrite the procedure maybe with more instructive photos.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Not sure about the photo's since the links get lost too often, possibly a narrative. Might be a couple of months before I do the job.
TraumaForYou

Post by TraumaForYou »

vibrologist wrote:If you have the time you could use the opportunity to rewrite the procedure maybe with more instructive photos.
You can find a diagram online of where each bolt/resistor plug into on the bumper. that way you dont need instructions.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Hope this helps.

1.Remove the rear bumper fascia extension, if equipped.
2.Open the liftgate.
3.Remove the rear door sill plate. Refer to Liftgate Door Sill Plate Replacement .
4.Remove the 4 rear bumper fascia nuts (1) from the rear sill.
5.Remove the 4 push-in retainers (3) from the rear bumper fascia (5), using the J 38778 .
6.Remove the 2 screws (2) from the top right and left upper fascia.
7.Remove the 2 screws (5) and retainers (4) from the right and left upper fascia.
8.Disconnect the backup lamp electrical connectors. Refer to Backup Lamp Replacement .
9.Remove the rear bumper fascia (6) from the vehicle.
10.Remove the backup lamps from the vehicle, if required. Refer to Backup Lamp Replacement .
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

THAT'S PERFECT! Thank you.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

gtv237 wrote:Hope this helps.

The nuts to remove the bumper are under the metal sheetmetal that the spare tire stuff sits on, and they are a PITA to access because the sheetmetal forms a sharp shelf over them. Everything else is just the same-old, same-old.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Thanks for the extra info, Lanny! I hope to get at this within a couple of weeks.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Used the above diagram, worked well. Made a video showing highlights of hardware that needs removed to get bumper off Vibe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cno5fZNqJYI

Still have no idea what the steel pipe in the Styrofoam crush pad does. Rust Magnet :lol: ?
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Excellent Video! Thanks Derf.