Anybody has any painting tips???

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
jessep19

Anybody has any painting tips???

Post by jessep19 »

Hey guys,I have the 2 front extension from the GM ground effects and need to paint them. Right now, they are grey and i need to paint them red/salsa color. Does anybody have any tips or tricks for paiting?? I would like to do it myself to save a little extra money.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Anybody has any painting tips??? (jessep19)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

For plastic make sure you wash it with maybe some dishsoap to remove grease or anything, then handle it with gloves and wipe with alcohol for good measure to clean a little more. Then it wouldn't hurt to use adhesion promoter under your primer. A grey primer should do for your salsa color. I don't know what clearcoat would be best, but wetsand with 2000grit when you're done and the clearcoat has cured. Then use your rubbing compound to buff it out and it should have some nice reflective qualities. But I have NO professional learning or whatever, just my experience from messing with a lot of paint and plastic. I know I don't have to tell you this, but do it at your own risk just my 2cents And best of luck
jessep19

Re: Anybody has any painting tips??? (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by jessep19 »

do you think it would be worth it sanding or rough sanding the parts before i put the adhesion promoter?
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Anybody has any painting tips??? (jessep19)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Yeah if you're gonna sand it first I would normally use a 600grit or 800grit.Make sure you wash it well afterward. Is it textured at all like the cladding? or is it smooth?If smooth then yes, i'd sand it