About to buy an SLP hood... need advice.

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
BadBrew

About to buy an SLP hood... need advice.

Post by BadBrew »

So, I found a SLP hood on classifieds (StreetForce). I'm about to do an offer but I know they have a body shop also. Questions:How much can it cost to paint the hood?How much to install it?Also, I think I have to dig a hole into the stock air box to use the ram air?and, What should I do during winter? Reinstall the stock hood?With these info I'll make an offer for the whole thing...Thanks!
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
BlueCrush

Re: About to buy an SLP hood... need advice. (BadBrew)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by BadBrew »So, I found a SLP hood on classifieds (StreetForce). I'm about to do an offer but I know they have a body shop also. Questions:How much can it cost to paint the hood? ??How much to install it? ??Also, I think I have to dig a hole into the stock air box to use the ram air? Yes, you will need to cut hole in the top of the stock airbox to use the SLP ram air set-upand, What should I do during winter? Reinstall the stock hood? I would highly, highly recommend going back to the stock hood in winter and store the aftermarket hood in your basement, if possible. This is the reason I never installed an aftermarket hood. I didn't want to deal with switching it twice a year. -40C from the outside weather + 200C under the hood = Crack addict.With these info I'll make an offer for the whole thing...Thanks!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BadBrew

Re: About to buy an SLP hood... need advice. (BlueCrush)

Post by BadBrew »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I would highly, highly recommend going back to the stock hood in winter and store the aftermarket hood in your basement, if possible. This is the reason I never installed an aftermarket hood. I didn't want to deal with switching it twice a year. -40C from the outside weather + 200C under the hood = Crack addict.I was more thinking about the snow and ice blocking air from getting in... but since it's fiberglass, I guess it's another good reason to swap it! but switching from CAI to stock air box twice a year (what I do now) should be as difficult as switching only the hood?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

no one can tell you how much it would cost to paint the hood. you would need to go into some body shops and have them work you up a quote.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BadBrew

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by BadBrew »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »no one can tell you how much it would cost to paint the hood. you would need to go into some body shops and have them work you up a quote.Yeah well... I wanted some kind of an estimate, there's probably someone here that had his/her hood repainted...I'll deal with those guys tomorrow, the hood is priced very low and it's been around classifieds here for some time now... so I wanted to lower the price for the hood and negotiate with them for the paint because they do have a body shop, they used to do dealer modified cars around here.http://www.streetforce.ca
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

what I'm saying is that body repair work is really regional or local as far as pricing is concerned. what I would pay HERE would be different from what you would pay THERE. Also, not all body shops are equal, so depending on who you take it to and what kind of paint job you're wanting, that will also make a difference. That's why I said, call up some body shops in your area and ask them what a hood job would cost.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BadBrew

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by BadBrew »

Alright then! will do
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

good luck!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
03VibeOttawa

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

I bought the same hood ±2 yrs ago, possibly from the same vendor as you're considering.Things that come to mind:Another factor to consider regarding the install: you also have to dremmel/drill out the holes for the windshield washer nozzlesI have been through 2 winters, with several days in a row below -25C, and have had no cracking issues. you will absolutely need Hood Pins (I often see the hood flexing hard under highway speed).Make sure not to stand it on its "corners", lay it flat whenever you can, as the fibreglass can chip easily.I've left mine unpainted so far, and had no problems in doing so. The gelcoat on the hood has help up perfectly. I know leaving a hood unpainted is not a popular thing to do around here, but I can't wrap my head around how impractical an expense paint on the exterior of my 2003 daily joyride would be. Cheers, and enjoy the hood if you get it!
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
AKLGT

Re: About to buy an SLP hood... need advice. (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Feelin’ The Vibe »I've left mine unpainted so far, and had no problems in doing so. The gelcoat on the hood has help up perfectly. I know leaving a hood unpainted is not a popular thing to do around here, but I can't wrap my head around how impractical an expense paint on the exterior of my 2003 daily joyride would be. Cheers, and enjoy the hood if you get it!paint it flat black.. rattle can it or cover it in vinyl. CHEAP. better than looking like a jacked up Honda.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BadBrew

Re: About to buy an SLP hood... need advice. (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by BadBrew »

Quote, originally posted by Feelin’ The Vibe »you will absolutely need Hood Pins (I often see the hood flexing hard under highway speed).Thanks man, good points!The guy told me that hood pins where only for decoration on this hood, no need for them... anyway, going there to see it on tomorrow.Your hood looks good unpainted IMO, it contrasts with with the salsa red
VibeFever

Post by VibeFever »

If anyone needs replacement slp ram air hood scoop grilles they are still available on their ebay site for $5.95 each plus shipping. They are listed as 1997-03 grand prix ram air ho, but they fit perfectly on my recently aquired vibe slp hood which were missing the grilles. slp part number 10188http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA....m619
Serj22

Re: About to buy an SLP hood... need advice. (VibeFever)

Post by Serj22 »

$200 for a cheap one panel spray job from Macco or Earl Sheib in California. The same went for doing it in WA. It's also really hard for them to mess up just one panel especially if its not attached to the car. They will manage to somehow get overspray on your car though, even if the car never went anywhere near the shop. Its wierd. $80 if you do it yourself (maybe) if you have supplies already. To install, costs $0.13 cents. If you drop a bolt while installing it and can't find it you may need a new one, otherwise installing a hood is 4 bolts, and attaching some hose to the washer nozzles. I've taken mine on and off 6 times in an hour while adjusting paint and trim.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)