Install Guide (How-To) Install XenonStore HCMSL

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
06pvibe

Install Guide (How-To) Install XenonStore HCMSL

Post by 06pvibe »

OK, so its not a "direct fit" as they/he claims it to be. That's Modding!With a bench grinder to take off the bulk of the material quickly, it takes about 15-20mins to make this work. If you are careful and take your time, it works very well and holds the board in solidly.Remember too, and this may seem basic to some, confusing to others: Unlike regular bulbs that use a filament, LED's are polarity specific (+ must be +, and - must be -.) Current will only flow in one direction, so if it doesn't work the first time flip the connector around 180* (it will fit,) plug it back in and try again. Assuming that this fixes the problem, draw a line using a Sharpie (or paint, etc.) across the end of the connector and the front of the socket to mark it for future reference. It doesn't matter where as long as the two lines line up w/each pther when properly connected together. That way you will always get the polarity correct the first time. You can just barely see the line I made in pic #3.Anyways, here's what I came up with:First, grind off the first two "chrome finished" steps of the OE housing. (Red circles) I used a std flat file to better flatten the area and smooth out the rough edges the grinder had left behind.This will not have any affect if you wish to put it back to stock. Be careful not to go too far down and grind off the tabs in the lower housing corners (Blue arrows.)You will also need to remove some material from the back of the lens tabs in order for it to clear and hold the PC board firmly in place. (Black circles.) Again, please take your time for the best fit.Here it is ready for the lens. If you like the naked look and do not plan to use the lens, I suggest using some 3M double-stick gray trim tape on the areas you filed down. My board wedged between the body and lens so well that I didn't even have to activate the tape that came with the board, but kept it intact as a padded base.I did use a file to smooth out and fit the PC board to the housing a little bit better, but that may not have been absolutely necessary. If you try this, be aware of where the cladding is on the board so that you do not expose or cut through one of the connections.Then just clip the lens back in place as you would have before. You are ready for installation.Here's a daylight shot as the sun was coming around the back of the house. It was intrusive enough by then that I was worried how it would affect the picture but as you can see, you can see.... That's it, Fellas!!
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

nice write-up added to the index!
Whelan

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by Whelan »

I'll add my items here. Since I originally contacted, sent out my stock unit, got the first production version sent to me, it still works perfectly to this day over a year later. I did some tweaking to the fit and finish as you can see here. A little of the one sided tape foam from Home Depot goes a long way.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT