Replacement bulb for license plate light

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
jdale

Replacement bulb for license plate light

Post by jdale »

2005 Vibe. Owners manual mentions nothing about this bulb. there are two of them and one is burnt out. Did a search on this forum and found part #168. What bulb do I ask for at an Auto parts dealer and how do I gain access to change it?Thanks for any and all help!
star_deceiver

Re: Replacement bulb for license plate light (jdale)

Post by star_deceiver »

There's either a screw-on outer cover or you can pull the bulb from a panel inside the car... (Have a look, it's one of em!)
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jdale

Post by jdale »

Thank you so much! Have to replace it in the A.M., granddaugther taking driving test. All lights must work! Thanks again
03VibeOttawa

Re: (jdale)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

nice of you to lend your car out :-)
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
joatmon

Re: Replacement bulb for license plate light (jdale)

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibeQuote, originally posted by jdale »2005 Vibe. Owners manual mentions nothing about this bulb. there are two of them and one is burnt out. Did a search on this forum and found part #168. What bulb do I ask for at an Auto parts dealer and how do I gain access to change it?Thanks for any and all help! an auto parts store will know what a #168 bulb isI recently had to replace mine, and http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=21999 helped.
Mbala

Re: Replacement bulb for license plate light

Post by Mbala »

2007 Vibe:

I removed the plastic cover in the back of the car, unplugged the wire, and attempted to release the white plastic holder with the bulb by twisting it left. Could not move it. Yes, it should turn left to release. Took pliers, grabbed the plastic, twisted, cracked the top of the plastic. Bad idea.

Then I pushed the two black pieces of plastic inward to release the entire assembly. Pushed it forward and down - it actually slides out quite easily if you get the angle right. I got a good look at the whole setup and this time managed to twist the white plastic holder for the bulb with pliers with minimal damage.

I recommend getting the whole assembly out - much more comfortable to deal with it once it is lying in front of you. If I did that to begin with, I would not end up with cracked plastic.
Mojo72

Re: Replacement bulb for license plate light

Post by Mojo72 »

Thanks for the tip on replacing a license plate light bulb. By pinching the black tabs at the ends of the light assembly, I was able to lift out the whole unit then see where I could remove the white stem by turning it counter clockwise by approximately 15 degrees. For some reason, I couldn't get the stem to screw off without removing the whole light. The access panel was pretty easy to pry off with a small nail pull, but I did manage to break off one of the 6 tabs. Oops! :oops:
2004 1.8L (1ZZ-FE) Vibe (Lava Red)16" Michelin Destiny tires