The GM molded mudflaps.Update GT spoiler install directions.

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
leemur

The GM molded mudflaps.Update GT spoiler install directions.

Post by leemur »

Never did see a pic of these, so here they are. I also just put the rear spoiler on today. Doctored the hubcaps today also...wanted an alloy look. I think it worked good.
2004 Fusion Orange, bought new R.I.P. 2009 Carbon Grey 2.4, bought new. 2004 Neptune bought used-2013
KNINE

Re: The GM molded mudflaps (leemur)

Post by KNINE »

I never thought I'd say this but, nice hubcaps. I should put some 09 caps on my 06, since I'm too cheap to buy rims. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before somebody here sells theirs.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
MotoXdog

Re: The GM molded mudflaps (leemur)

Post by MotoXdog »

Nice job with the hubs!!! My '09 came with the other style Otherwise I would have copied you Where did the mud flaps come from? GM?
'09 V-Base RHM w/Pinstripe
leemur

Post by leemur »

Yeah, these are the ones that are $90 on GM Accessories web site. $78.40 with shipping from GMPartsdirect.com.I wouldn't call them mudflaps though. They are a hard plastic with no give so you can't whack em with your foot to knock off the snow. They have the same diamond texture as the side runner and dash so they match up perfect.The front ones fit the forward part of the rear wheel well almost perfect so you could do it up to look like a sideskirt flair. Opposite sides as in...the front left would be turned around and fit on the rear right.
2004 Fusion Orange, bought new R.I.P. 2009 Carbon Grey 2.4, bought new. 2004 Neptune bought used-2013
abramsgunner

Post by abramsgunner »

Don't happen to have a brief but detailed description of installing the GT spoiler do you? <grin>
leemur

Post by leemur »

I was going to take pics but forgot to take my camera to work so:1. You have to open the tailgate and notice the three pieces of grey trim that cover the top and sides. You pry those off as carefully as possible1a. The way I ended up starting was to get my fingers into the 3rd brake light cover and pry out and down a bit. that popped out a couple of the push pins. Then I got my fingers more to the sides and worked my way along each side popping them out. The directions say to pull firmly but not torque, IE: not too hard. They will all pop out eventually and you will be holding all three pieces still in one unit. Note:::the ends of the trim piece kind of notch into the piece that doesn't come out. It comes off easy but watch for it so you don't tug wrong. 2. Now you can see three holes with 10mm nuts. Those come off but be careful they can drop into the tailgate if you aren't careful. I sat in the car, pulled the door down most of the way so if they fell they would fall straight down not into the door. Try to keep them in the socket (deepwell) so they can't fall.3. There are two black plugs at each end that were never covered up. Those plugs wedge out to reveal two more 10mm nuts, remove. 4. With all five nuts off, shut the tailgate and prepare to do some more push pin popping. It's a bit scary but take your time. I was trying to find a grip point and found the edges were the best spot. In fact only spot I could get it started. There are four of the pins to pop out then the mini spoiler comes off.5. Clean up the area as it is dirty under there and pop the push pins on the Gt spoiler (4) into the holes. The GT spoiler top does not sit flush with the roof as the mini did. It has about a quarter inch rise to it around that arch area next to the roof line.6. Then open the tailgate and bolt up the five nuts, snug but not too tight.7. Now you replace the three piece trim piece. Be very careful in lining up each pin before pushing. I thought I was lined up and snapped one off without even pushing hard.8. I believe that's it. Just put those to hole plugs back in and it should be done.Note:: There are vague directions with the GT spoiler
Houston

Re: The GM molded mudflaps.Update GT spoiler install directions. (leemur)

Post by Houston »

Quote, originally posted by leemur »Doctored the hubcaps today also...wanted an alloy look. I think it worked good.[/img]I think they look good, too. Exactly how did you prepare the wheels for painting and what company's paint did you use?
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Cool! Saved yourself $90 on the spoiler install.I agree the hubcaps look great! How did you do that?The mud flaps look good - probably especially on the gray car. I'm thinking about getting them as well.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
leemur

Post by leemur »

You guys won't believe how I did the hub caps. That isn't paint it's contact paper.I went to the model hobby shop and got the contact paper they use for airplane fusealages. It is a very thin plastic sheet with adhesive backing. So I just made a paper template of the rectangle piece and the triangular piece. I used the first cutout set as templates for rest and stuck them on.The rectangle piece has the points on one end and curved top. They aren't ultra perfect cutouts but you have to get close to tell.If the day comes I don't like it...I just peel it off. And you can always try different colors. Maybe checker flag look! Tribal if you can find it.
Houston

Re: (leemur)

Post by Houston »

That's a new one to me. Let us know how they hold up after a couple years of weather and car washings.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
ou.grizzly

Re: The GM molded mudflaps.Update GT spoiler install directions. (leemur)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Leemur,How did the mudflaps install? Was there any drilling required?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
leemur

Post by leemur »

There are three holes to drill for each mudflap, two in the wheelwell and one on the bottom. I think one wheelwell hole is there already from the inner liner. I drilled the wheelwell and bottom holes in the rear and drilled the wheelwell hole in the front. I didn't want to jack up the car to drill the bottom front so I heated the drill bit with a BIC lighter and pushed it through. That worked really well and might be fine for all of the holes.There is an adhiesive that sticks the flap to the painted side of the fenders. They are a solid product with no flex so you can't back kick them to knock snow off. I'm going to miss that feature. The 2004 molded flaps had flex and you could tap 'em.Oh and: So far the hubcap contact paper is still looking like new. We'll see how the winter does them, but remember it's a $6 investment with leftovers to make new ones. Even if they get crappy over winter it's easy to redo.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Hmmm... Grizzly is not so big on drilling holes into panels.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Me neither, but I got the splash guards so will need to do it. I hate drilling into metal, but I got some black auto paint to touch that up. Good trick on heathing a drill bit to push thru the plastic rear bumper cover. I'll try not to burn my fingers.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
leemur

Post by leemur »

Only the bottom of the rear PAINTED (plastic) fender panels need to have holes. The front bottom holes go into the side runner panel (plastic) and the others are into the inner fender well liner. You should be able to melt them all. I didn't think of it until I realized I'd have to jack up the car to get the drill vertical.Got my first door ding sometime in the last two days, not happy.
ou.grizzly

Re: (leemur)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by leemur »Only the bottom of the rear PAINTED (plastic) fender panels need to have holes. The front bottom holes go into the side runner panel (plastic) and the others are into the inner fender well liner. You should be able to melt them all. I didn't think of it until I realized I'd have to jack up the car to get the drill vertical.Got my first door ding sometime in the last two days, not happy. Sorry to hear about the door ding...Yeah, I am not too big into doing that into the rear bumper... We shall see.
leemur

Post by leemur »

yeah, you can see by the one pic that it isn't too horrible, an 1/8 hole, but it is permanant. An option would be to just use some of that double sided tape stuff like what comes with those stick up door hooks. That stuff is seriously sticky.
Lunchtimer

Re: The GM molded mudflaps.Update GT spoiler install directi

Post by Lunchtimer »

Just installed a GT spoiler on the 2009 Vibe and want to say thanks to Leemur for the instructions. I printed and followed them, they are much better than the instructions that came with the spoiler.