How long do your headlights last???

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
KrazyB

How long do your headlights last???

Post by KrazyB »

I have an 05 and would just like to know how long everyone else's headlights last? I swear I just replaced them a little bit ago and one burnt out already. I have sylvanias in there now and my day time running lights run all of the time. Any recommendations for brands of headlights to buy would be appreciated.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

HID Projectors!!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

looking over my various rants here it seems like sylvanias last me about 9 months. The current set in the car now was made by Federal Mogul, still fine after 21 months so far
ColonelPanic

Re: How long do your headlights last??? (KrazyB)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Are your Sylvania bulbs those of the Silver variety? If so, you'll definitely be replacing them often. Plain ol' halogens last forever. Kari's car still has the original bulbs in it and it's an '03. Only thing that's been replaced is a third brake light bulb which I just got back in from doing.My Hyundai has Philips headlight bulbs in it OEM, it's at 3 years and some change / 52k now. I leave the headlights are on anytime the car is driven and they're both still kicking.*knocks on wood* before I have to replace headlights in two cars.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
bull77

Post by bull77 »

i replaced 1 stock bulb after a 1 1/2 with sylvania xtra vision ones - I ended up replacing those 3 times over the next year and a bit.
KrazyB

Re: (bull77)

Post by KrazyB »

Thanks for the fast replys they are the sylvania xtra vision I guess I will have to do some looking around.
keithvibe

Re: (KrazyB)

Post by keithvibe »

Have never needed to replace my bulbs LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joejoev

Re: How long do your headlights last??? (KrazyB)

Post by joejoev »

I use Wagner TruView bulbs. I drive a ton of miles and mostly at night. So I keep track by miles not days. The TruViews last 12-16k miles for me.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

I've found that whenever a bulb burns out, just go ahead and replace the opposite side while you are at it. They are both the same brand, installed on the same day at the factory and have burned for the same number of hours. The odds are high that shortly after replacing one side, the other will go out.I speak from much experience with my cars and other's cars over the span of many years. It seems like a waste pulling out a working bulb but it is really a time and aggravation saver.my 2x........Just run halogens, they work just fine and last a long time. There are of course other options but they are often more expensive and short lived.for example, a Long Life H1 bulb is rated @ 1460 lumens and burns for 1200 hours.When you step up to a brighter "high tech" brighter bulbs (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium or High Visibility) you get 1700 lumens but only 350 hours of light.Big difference in overall costs, sure a little bit better light but.....The filaments of the long life bulbs are a much heavier and hence a duller glow is produced. The brighter bulbs filament sacrifices itself in a short time to produce a brighter beam. It all depends upon your needs and where you drive at night as well as your lamp budget.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jake75

Re: (djkeev)

Post by jake75 »

The daytime running lights appear to operate at a lower intensity (dimmer) so my guess is that daytime use does not really affect longevity very much.I had my '03 for 6 years, 33,000 mils, and never had to replace a headlight. I don't know if headlights are considered a "wear part" not covered by the warranty. Years ago on a 1986 Golf the dealer replaced a burned out headlight under warranty. I think that's the last time I had to replace a headlight.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

i had the brightest sylvanias silver series lights they made to fit the vibe and mine kept burning out, i stuck the cheapest ones in the vibe and nothing but good luck since then. but the stock ones lasted 80,000 miles on an 04