how to adding fog lights to a base 09+ (no hacking wires)

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
SpeedEng

how to adding fog lights to a base 09+ (no hacking wires)

Post by SpeedEng »

did you buy a base model vibe and wish you bought the fog light optionour cars are prewired for the fogs (you just need a few items)parts needed one stalk with fog switchone relay Denso Relay # 90987-02027two fog lights2 or 4 (cant remember)odd ball flared toyo screws2 optional cover (im going to hole saw mine soon, custom baby!) now here's the kicker all my parts were not from a vibe or matrix the stalk I have is from a rav 4 (lol 2008 rav4)so im going to say all stalks are the same for the toyota line upI have confirmed with my toyota dealership (highland, rav4, corolla, camary & of course matrix is the same stalk) so save a few bux and look on ebay my fogs were from a highland 08 prob not the same shape as the vibe's but if fits with no mod.im pretty sure others will fit (I will be looking at a set from a rav4 this weekend, I have no connections with pontiac so I never seen/ measured a set from them) so again you can save some $ if you find a set for cheap they will work!ok tools neededone tiny flathead screwdriver (not needed but you will thank yourself if u have one)one regular size flatheadneedle nose plyers locking plyerstorx t30a 10mm & 19mm socket + rachet and a 6" extensiontapetotal install time >one hour it's that easy!(pictures commin soon I have a crappy camera phone:( )now the hardest part is installing the fog lights into the carit requires you to remove the wheel well splash coversand squeezin your hands into a tight spot to remove the front fog covers (so if you have large hands (like me) this is going to alittle trickypop off the covers there are clips holding it onto the front clip just take your time and lift each tap and push the tab off until it pops offinstall fog light and screw them into place connect fog light harness to your new fog(it's taped up just peel off the tape)disconnect battery (I didnt but your supposed to )this step you could prob not need to do (I will be taking it apart again to see if it's needed)pop your keys in to onput the parking/e-brake upput the car in Neutral positionunscrew the shift knob (it turns righty tighty lefty loosie ) use your tiny flat head and pop the shifter indicator bezel off(there's a little slot on the upper left where you can start to pry)once you lift it up it pops off.. let me put this on hold im going out to check if this needs to be done...

Attached files
09+ base fog light install (no wire hacking)http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=37906
bikeman1

Re: adding fog lights to a base 09 (SpeedEng)

Post by bikeman1 »

see belowhttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=35230There is no OEM or aftermarket kit at this time. Given its a 2 year model run, I wouldn't hold my breath. You'll get no love from Pontiac and the dealer may offer to broker a custom installer for several hundred dollars.If you wanted to try and fabricate a mounting plate of some kind, this light setup from the 06-07 Corolla may be similar to the 09 version, at least as far as the relay and lamp goeshttp://www.atomiccarparts.com/....aspxthe price is right but be forewarned it could mess with your warranty. The insert of course won't fit and you'll have to fabricate, as well as a mounting of some kindNot a good situation. It was only a $120 option and would have been a logical item for the dealer to add to the build. For a base model, he was probably thinking keep cost downGood luck and let me know if you have any luck. on this you are on your own.........
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Have you priced out all the parts (similar to if it was involved in a crash)? I'd think that if you just replaced the housings they'd fit, and then any aftermarket lights of the correct size could be mounted and wired.I want to do the same thing with mine (either that or if I ever need to replace the front bumper I'll get a GT style instead).
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
SpeedEng

Re: adding fog lights to a base 09 (bikeman1)

Post by SpeedEng »

yea if there was a vibe with fogs (other than the awd) on the lot I would have grabbed it but how do you guys with th 09 control the fogs is it a button or is it on the multi-funtion switch?
09+ base fog light install (no wire hacking)http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=37906
SpeedEng

Post by SpeedEng »

nm I found it in the online manualhttp://www.genvibe.com/images/...k.pdf
bikeman1

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by bikeman1 »

Kin, it would be nice if it were that simple.There seen to be 2 styles of lights: one in which the kit is inserted into the black plastic housinghttp://cars.about.com/od/ponti...w.htm' (on the Base and AWD?) and one in which the insert is color matched (on the GT?)http://cars.about.com/od/ponti...t.htmit would be useful to know what the part numbers for these inserts were. The OEM kits for Toyotas all come with fascia insert, lamp, relay, cable, and switch (but not the turn signal lever as Speed points out must be replaced too to go "stock"). I'd like to get the insert, then go somewhere where they have the OEM kit for the Toyota Matrix or Corolla 2009. That would be a good candidate for working in the same application...It should be possible to wire the relay directly to the low-beam block on the switch, in which case the fogs will always be on, unlike the OEM setup.May our respectively dealers spend the rest of their mortal GM lives in airport hotels for leaving this $120 option off the build sheets.....
SpeedEng

Re: (bikeman1)

Post by SpeedEng »

Thanks for the links I didnt know the gt had a different front clipim guessing the awd might fit but too bad there's non on ebay btw I dont think the toyo matrix ones will work
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I'm sure the fogs on the non-GT's are specific to Pontiac - so anything on the Matrix won't just bolt in.I sure hope you can buy the individual insert for the non-GTs. That would suck if they only sell it included with a front bumper cover.Yes, the GT is different and the fogs are different.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
SpeedEng

Post by SpeedEng »

well i took a look today and popped off the covers behind the cover there is a harness for fogs im guessing the awd fogs will fit right in well since i have to go back to the dealer i will take some measurements
bikeman1

Re: more on parts

Post by bikeman1 »

Quote, originally posted by SpeedEng »well i took a look today and popped off the covers behind the cover there is a harness for fogs im guessing the awd fogs will fit right in well since i have to go back to the dealer i will take some measurementsSpeedeng:here are the Pontiac part numbers for the replacement lights 88975661 left88975662 rightlist $107 eachand the black cover with opening8897565988975660list $25 eachThat includes no harness, no relay, and no switch. Can you give details on how you popped off the cover? and where the harness was?
SpeedEng

Re: more on parts (bikeman1)

Post by SpeedEng »

the covers pop right off there is 3-4 clips and all you need to do is gently lift the clip and the cover will pop off..the harness is just behind the cover neatly ziptied out of the way
chrishun

Re: more on parts (bikeman1)

Post by chrishun »

Like you, I would love fogs on my base Vibe. But $107 per light! Wow, GM got us again. And I really like my Vibe, had it since September and it has nearly 18k miles on it. I average about 32 mpg in mixed driving, but mostly highway (70-30 probably). It is the little things like this that drive me insane. Why not offer a $120 fog light option? Or a $300 roof rack option? They should encourage these things so you can really make the car your own.
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...I've left a "holding" depo$it with our local auto-junkyard for the fog lamp assemblies from any 2009-2010 Vibe that they get that was in a "rearend" wreck, ie: tailgating or failure to stop at stoplight (rear) fender-bender....they CAN go cross-country to get these parts, but I want to be able to actually SEE their condition before accepting them (plastic parts break WAY too easily).
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
metaxa44

Re: adding fog lights to a base 09 (bikeman1)

Post by metaxa44 »

Hi Guys , I love to put fogs on too and find out we can get those inserts or covers seperatly...Not sure if I like the crhome on it , if I get one I will paint it black ...They are $30 each here in Toronto..The lights are $120 each and i find that too much , maybe I look for a aftermarket light...So the wireing are there , what else do I need ???I know the switch in the car , anything else???Oh by the way how do you get your picture on beside your name???Anton

465841=14278-Vibe.JPG
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

If the fog light insert/panel is not that expensive I may buy two and just leave them empty or see if I can mount an aftermarket light w/o much trouble. I like the chrome - the front seems a bit bland without the it. I just want to add a bit more visual interest.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Okay, not sure what "They are $30 each here in Toronto.." refers to, but it may not be the fog light housing.My local dealer quotes $118 each - and that doesn't include the fog lights, wiring or switches.I wish someone would put out an aftermarket housing, but I doubt that's going to happen.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Well, I'm going to have to go in and see just what it is we are talking about. I called a second dealer and they gave me a quote of $13 each. Maybe that first guy's prices did include all the lights & hardware.The $13 quote had different part numbers than provided by Bikeman above - so in a few minutes I'm going to drive up there and see in person what we are looking at so that we don't order the wrong thing.
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Hi ,if you look at the drawing i uploaded it shows #9 is the panel for the foglights...They cost $30, and #8 is the light it self for around $110 each ...
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Yep, it all is clear now. Not sure exactly what was being quoted to me earlier, but I went and spoke the the parts guy (an older guy, probably the main mgr, who was covering the lunch hour).Eventually, he did find the diagram that Metaxa44 provided above and the part locally was $49 for the two of them, which I ordered.At first he could not pull up the right diagram - he'd pull up a GT and then pull up a base model but it only showed the fogs lights, not the cover. I gave him the part numbers and he was able to find it. At one point he tried to take me out to a 1st gen Vibe to look at that car's fogs.Anyway, they are on order and not too expensive, so it's all good!
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

You will need to order the stalk on the steering column to turn on the fog lights unless you hardwire them to a switch placed in one of the blanks on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Whelan

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by Whelan »

Wouldn't it have been worth it for the $100-150 to have them on the car at purchase. over say a typical 5 year loan that is $2.50 per month
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ou.grizzly

Re: (Whelan)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Wouldn't it have been worth it for the $100-150 to have them on the car at purchase. over say a typical 5 year loan that is $2.50 per monthIf the options was not available on the colour/color or with the wheels one wanted, I can see how one would sacrifice fogs. I ran into the same issue when purchasing a 2009.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Yeah, funny thing is I would have paid more than $200 to have fogs! They were not on the silver Vibe with the stick that I found. I still can't believe that it is not an accessory item - again, I'd probably pay $200 for it.If I could have gotten that one dealership to budge I'd be driving a black GT instead right now. (but I do like the silver and Gawd I hated those GT seats).
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Hi Guys,The wiring is all ready there as you say???But where does it go???I just want to put a seperate switch for it , how would I do that???It might be too complicated to go on the steering ...Anybody has a wiring diagram ?Thanks: Anton
ou.grizzly

Re: (metaxa44)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by metaxa44 »Hi Guys,The wiring is all ready there as you say???But where does it go???I just want to put a seperate switch for it , how would I do that???It might be too complicated to go on the steering ...Anybody has a wiring diagram ?Thanks: AntonNot too complicated; just purchase a new stalk with the fog light switch from the Toyota Dealer. Plug n Play.
Heinz1

Re: adding fog lights to a base 09 (SpeedEng)

Post by Heinz1 »

I just looked the parts up on GMpartsdirect.com Lights=73.88ea,Covers15.32ea for the part # listed above.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Always ready to beat up on myself, I went to gmpartsdirect.com and it says S&H is $90.72 for each cover! (removed)!
Heinz1

Post by Heinz1 »

Thats crazy shipping they think it's the whole bumper! I checked and shipping on the lights is 15. ea!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
old indian

Post by old indian »

Hi everyone,another new kid on the block, although at 62 an old kid!!! I've read all the stuff about adding fog lights to the base 2009-2010 models Wanted to let everyone know that I bit the bullet and ordered all the parts(hopefully) from gmpartsdirect.com Here are the part #s with prices and shipping;left cover 88975659 $15.32 shipping $3.30right cover 88975660 $15.32 shipping $3.30left lamp assy 88975661 $73.88 shipping $15.51right lamp assy 88975662 $73.88 shipping $15.51turn signal switch w/fog $39.37 shipping $8.27the total came to a little over $263.00 When I first priced the items the two covwrs had a shipping cost of $90.72 each !!! I emailed gmpartsdirect and questioned the ship cost and a very short time later an individual named Jason emailed me back stating that they had corrected the shipping cost to the price above. I have ordered from them before and have had good results and fast shipping. I am doing this install on my 2010 base that I recently bought. I have already popped the front covers off and the wiring harness with plugs are there for the fog lampa on each side. The harness's are black taped together to another harness and you can see them through the cover opening after the covers are removed. The covers are held on by 5 black plastic tabs/clips/claws that are part of the covers. All you have to do to release them is carefully push in the center part of the tab and push the whole cover out the front of the bumper. Work your way around the cover slowly from tab to tab and push out a little bit at a time until all the tabs are released. I didn't take any other covers or splash shields off-if you lay under the front of the bumper at an angle you can see a couple of the tabs and then you can just reach up and feel your way around for the others. Its not that difficult. I'm hoping someone can help me with my next step. How the hell do you take apart the shroud halves covering the steering column so that I can get access to removing and installing the new headlight/fog/turn signal switch? Are there some type of hidden clips or are there screws that I can't find? Hope someone can help.One last bit of rambling. Ive read the discussions about the cannister oil filters on the vibs and toyotas. On my 57 Star Chief thats exactly what it has-its not a spin on filter. There is an oil filter housing that has a drain plug-once the oil has been drained from the housing, the whole housing is unbolted from the engine and the filter inside is removed and a new one installed. A majority of GM cars from the mid 40's to late 50's used this system, so its nothing new.
1957 pontiac starchief2004 vibe awd orange fusion2010 vibe base iginition orange metallic
SpeedEng

Re: (old indian)

Post by SpeedEng »

left cover 88975659 $15.32 shipping $3.30right cover 88975660 $15.32 shipping $3.30here's the problem are these for the base/awd front bumpers or is this for the GT?and another q is this the cover for the fog light (has a hole) or is this for the same cover that the base model already has?im actually at the same point right now but I dont have the multi function switch im going to rig it for now .. but im gunna figure a way to open the shroud today..
old indian

Re: (SpeedEng) fog light covers

Post by old indian »

Before I ordered thess parts, I did a little research with some help from the parts manager at a local dealership. He used to be our paperboy when he was a kid-I'm glad we treated him good back then!!! Anyway the front bumper cover(referring to the WHOLE front from one side of the car to the other) on a 2009-2010 base and awd are completely different than the front bumper cover on the 2009-2010 GT. The GT has cutouts for the fog lamps already molded into the bumper and the fog lamps mount directly into the bumper-there are no separate covers used except for a slim vertical trim piece that mounts into the bumper next to the fog light. The bumper cover on the base and awd models has the small black rectangular OUTER covers snapped into place on the left and right sides. I found only 2 sets of part numbers referring to these OUTER covers. They are88975652 right outer cover list price 12.6688975653 left outer cover list price 12.66these above two covers are what comes stock on 2009-2010 base and awd NON fog light equipped cars88975659 left outer cover list price 24.9788975660 right outer cover list price 24.97these above two covers are for the 2009-2010 base and awd fog light equipped carsI hope this helps and I got the right information, otherwise just take the old fart out and put me out of my misery. Let me know how you do on the shroud disassembly-I took another look and I can see nothing externally holding the two halves together-there must be sone kind on latches or tabs that you squeeze together and it comes apart.
1957 pontiac starchief2004 vibe awd orange fusion2010 vibe base iginition orange metallic
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

You are right on the money old indian. I got my covers now (cost me the list price and I picked them up at the dealer). Could have saved a few bucks by calling gmpartsdirect to straighten out the shipping thing. My plan is to switch out the covers and down the road I'll worry about putting fogs in. Probably I'll just do it aftermarket and will use the rocker switch blank to turn them off and on.
SpeedEng

Post by SpeedEng »

can you post up pictures of the trim
peacock

Re: (SpeedEng)

Post by peacock »

I bought the bezels from a local GM dealership today for about $60 CAN.I used the part numbers found in this thread. 88975659 and 88975660.I have a attached a picture of them... it might be hard to see but they are very shiny.

468761=14327-bezels.jpg
peacock

Re: (peacock)

Post by peacock »

I also bought a fog light kit on ebay (bling lights) for about $80 CAN. I comes with everything: fog lights, bulbs, harness, relay, switch, fuse, etc. I'll take some proper pictures whenever I get around to installing them. Maybe I'll be able to use the factory wiring harness with aftermarket lights.

468762=14328-fogs.jpg
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Your aftermarket lights will not fit into the OEM bezel. The OEM bezel + fog lights are not round where your ebay fog lights are.
SpeedEng

Post by SpeedEng »

thank you sooo much peacock for postin those pics!!those do look really shiny heh
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Hi , Did you install your lights ???How was it , how long it tike and do you have any pictures to share??Thanks : metaxa44
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I haven't switched out the blank covers for the fog light covers yet. But my current plan is to get some small projector driving lights instead of fogs. I almost never have to drive in the fog, but I'd like to light up a country road once in awhile.
CarbonJohn

Post by CarbonJohn »

Any updates or additional photos on this topic, guys? Aftermarket lights may work with the OEM bezels if the bezels can accept a round light on the backside. I haven't seen a photo of the backside or of the OEM lights, but I'm thinking that the OEM lights may be fully round and rely on the bezel to "chop-off" the top portion to match the head and tail lights. I may order the bezels and then the lights later.
2010 1.8L Manual Carbon Gray
peacock

Post by peacock »

I am waiting until spring before to tackle this job. The round aftermarket light does not match up perfectly with the bezel but that doesn't mean it won't fit. I would love to see how the oem light fits insde the bezel.
ss21

Post by ss21 »

I would love to see the install....I would love to add foglights to my base 09 Vibe aswell. The front end seems like its missing something, and I think the fogs will be a very nice addition.
SpeedEng

Post by SpeedEng »

im almost done.. but ran into a problemanyone know where the relay is?
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

not sure the relays in the fuse panel (near the battery) are set up for this. You could always use a $4 relay from autozone (mounted to the body) , but you still have to power the relay from somewhere. Needs to be fused tooOne possibility is that someone with a GT could photograph their fuse panel and see which relay was added and where. But that is assuming the factory cables are actually wired to the relay locationDid you replace the OEM switch stalk or mount a toggle switch dedicated to the fogs? Did you add your own wiring to the lights or use the stock wires?Keep at it and let us know what you did when you're through. I caught that you had purchased the inserts but lost track after that.
SpeedEng

Post by SpeedEng »

I have the stalk w fog switch, fogs and a toyota relay.. (tryin to keep it all stock without kacking wires.. a few times I was just going to hack it off the parking lights....but nah.. lol)I ripped apart the driverside and kick pannel looking for this freakin relay .. I ripped apart the glove box lookin for this relay.. and nuttin...I plead again can someone with fogs installed (by factory) take a picture of the front fuse box and the right side front relay boxim soooo close but soooo far lol
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

That would be any Vibe GT 09 or 10 What is the Toyota part # on the relay? Quote, originally posted by SpeedEng »I plead again can someone with fogs installed (by factory) take a picture of the front fuse box and the right side front relay boxim soooo close but soooo far lol
SpeedEng

Post by SpeedEng »

Denso Relay # 90987-02027
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Your aftermarket lights will not fit into the OEM bezel. The OEM bezel + fog lights are not round where your ebay fog lights are. The blinglights ebay site shows a picture of the 2009-2010 vibe with their lights in it, looks like the lights sit just behind the cover?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ories
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ou.grizzly

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »The blinglights ebay site shows a picture of the 2009-2010 vibe with their lights in it, looks like the lights sit just behind the cover?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...oriesOEM Foglights are different dimensions more than likely than the aftermarket selling on ebay. To get an OEM look and set up, then the following will be needed:1. OEM Stalk2. OEM Fog Light Assembly x 2 3. OEM Fog Light Bezels x 2 (right and left)But I do believe the fog lights themselves do sit behind the bezel.
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

OU is right, though you would also need the relay cited above and some good fortune -- no one (to my knowledge) on the board has successfully done this upgrade yet (wish I were wrong). There is no official Pontiac kit for this though all the parts can be had OEM individually. There is just no guarantee they will work -- or what if the logic on the Vibe needs to be reprogrammed. Speedeng is apparently the test case for "will this work"? I assume he fabricated a mounting bracket for the lamp and used the OEM bezel (which is plastic and mounts with four compression tabs). The lamps are kinda pricy and are absolutely needed to fit this bezel, which has odd curvature. The pre-2009 fog lamps are different too. The correct part numbers were posted elsewhere in the forumGive up on the Bling lights. Several members report the advertised "fit" is a scam. Round lights won't fit this bezel.One might avoid replacing the stalk by setting a toggle switch on the instrument panel dedicated to the fogs. All that being said, I haven't done the upgrade myself, though I do have the bezels. I am waiting to see how speedeng does -- like him I'd like to stick to factory setup. If I do anything custom, I may wait till after warranty. By then some new Vibes or Matrixes (Matrices?) may show up in a junk yard.We're behind you all the way Speedeng!Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »OEM Foglights are different dimensions more than likely than the aftermarket selling on ebay. To get an OEM look and set up, then the following will be needed:1. OEM Stalk2. OEM Fog Light Assembly x 2 3. OEM Fog Light Bezels x 2 (right and left)But I do believe the fog lights themselves do sit behind the bezel.