Pitted headlights...

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
W2ZXN

Pitted headlights...

Post by W2ZXN »

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix up the pitted headlights of my '03 base vibe. I've heard of plastic buffing compounds and such, but have not heard any success stories using these products on headlight casings. I wanted to replace them, but I really don't have the money for that right now. Any suggestions?
KrazyB

Re: Pitted headlights... (W2ZXN)

Post by KrazyB »

Can you post a pic and are they actually pitted really bad or just scratched?
Raven

Re: Pitted headlights... (KrazyB)

Post by Raven »

The headlights on my '92 Subaru SVX were so hazy you couldn't see the bulbs inside. I had to drive with my high beams on just to see at night. I polished them with Meguiar's PlastX and the difference is literally night and day. If you have large deep pits it may be necessary to start out with finer and finer wet sanding and finish with PlastX. To help maintain the clarity you can spray them with a couple of coats of clearcoat.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

two words Meguiar's PlastXO and some good elbow grease.They will look like new in no time.I found if i put the buffer in a drill and used the drill on the headlights they come up nicely
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

I just did this for my son's 05 Vibe on Sunday. PlastX, a clean micro fiber rag, and about 15 minutes per light. Had him turn on the headlights when I finished the driver's side. What a difference it made. Bigger pits = more time. Give it a try and tell us how it worked.Sanded roads in Winter are the main cause of this damage in our area. Stay as far away from the car in front of you as you can and watch out for fast moving big rigs heading at you in the opposite lane. These things scoop up and drag along huge amounts of small rocks that will pit lights, paint surfaces and windshields or worse in one pass.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I have fixed many of these headlights, it is very easy. You will need a sheet each of 1500,2000 & 2500 grit sandpaper, some white and red jewelers gouge, and a 6-8" buffing wheel with drill motor atachment.First you wet sand in straight lines back and forth and up and down. Keep it wet and do not sand in a circular motion. Start with the 1500 and work your way up to the smoothest (2500), then first using the red (then the white) jewelers gouge buff the lenses just like you sanded them. After you have done a couple you will get the hang of it and it will just take a few minutes to have new looking headlight lenses.BTW the old school sealed beam hallogen headlights never had this problem.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
keithvibe

Re: Pitted headlights... (JohnC)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »BTW the old school sealed beam hallogen headlights never had this problem.Well thats because they were made of glass not plastic LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

yah i did that wet sanding thing on my accord headlight once. it was kinda scary as i see the lens get hazier and hazier lol but once i put the plasticx on and buff it out they came out looking pretty good. i did it by hand so i was sore the next day =P
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
joejoev

Post by joejoev »

whelan posted a nice walk through here:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=32206I could not find 2500 grit sandpaper to save my life when I did my 2004's headlights. I used 1000, 1500, and 2000 grits and the results were awesome.