What's the headlight switch for?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
ChuckstrPT

What's the headlight switch for?

Post by ChuckstrPT »

So if I'm understanding this system correctly....we've got automatic Daytime Running Lights.....do nothing but turn on the car. AND...when the sun goes down....we've got automatic headlights/running lights...do nothing but watch the sun go down? So, during the day, you CAN'T turn the DRL's off....at night you CAN'T turn the head lights off with the car running??SO.....What's the point of the headlight switch? Am I missing something?
05 GT, Abyss Black, all tarted up...
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

no..that seems right..i dont really understand it myself how it's got 2 settings for the headlights and yet theirs no difference except for the cluster lighting up during the auto headlights and not the DRL's
hskater26

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by hskater26 »

they must of made it for us who disabled our auto on/drl feature haha
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
lovemyraffe

Re: What's the headlight switch for? (ChuckstrPT)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I rarely turn my headlights on manually. I did yesterday. It was raining but it was not dark enough for the lights to turn on automatically. In Utah, in a stormy conditions, you have to turn your lights on, not just headlights, but taillights too. I was driving on the freeway and could hardly see cars that didn't have their taillights on. So, yes I do think there is a purpose for it.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
psiu

Re: What's the headlight switch for? (lovemyraffe)

Post by psiu »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I rarely turn my headlights on manually. I did yesterday. It was raining but it was not dark enough for the lights to turn on automatically. In Utah, in a stormy conditions, you have to turn your lights on, not just headlights, but taillights too. I was driving on the freeway and could hardly see cars that didn't have their taillights on. So, yes I do think there is a purpose for it.I've been turning mine on manually since the sensor must be getting twitchy. It was always bad enough right next to the pillar (sunny day, but if it's in the shadow *poof-on*). Now if it's daylight and cloudy they will turn on. I don't like the dang things switching on-off-on-off-on-off for their amusement, so I just click it on during the day. Or make sure the dash dimmer is set to full brightness so my speed doesn't disappear on me when I drive under an overpass
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

its so you have taillamps during the time between daylight and night when the sensor turns on your headlamps. or during fog or hard rain or numerous other times when its not dark enough for the sensor to turn on your head lamps automatically.when your DRL are on you have no taillights on.
keithvibe

Re: What's the headlight switch for? (scherry2)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »its so you have taillamps during the time between daylight and night when the sensor turns on your headlamps. or during fog or hard rain or numerous other times when its not dark enough for the sensor to turn on your head lamps automatically.when your DRL are on you have no taillights on.^^^thats your answer... which most people don't understand that when its raining it's not dark enough to turn on your lights automatic. Those are the stupid people driving around and cause accidents.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
kunkstyle

Re: What's the headlight switch for? (keithvibe)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »which most people don't understand that when its raining it's not dark enough to turn on your lights automatic. Those are the stupid people driving around and cause accidents.Hahaha. +1.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
ChuckstrPT

Re: What's the headlight switch for? (keithvibe)

Post by ChuckstrPT »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »^^^thats your answer... which most people don't understand that when its raining it's not dark enough to turn on your lights automatic. Those are the stupid people driving around and cause accidents.I hear ya. I guess I'm in the other group...I use (would normally use when given the opportunity) my headlights on two lane roads during the day, as well as during rain. It's also law here in 'Bama to use headlights with rain...doesn't seem to make a difference to some. They can't even figure out what the turn signals are for around here!
05 GT, Abyss Black, all tarted up...
ned23

Post by ned23 »

I'd guess one reason is that it is a failsafe if your sensor fails. It's also so that you can turn your headights and taillights on whenever it rains. It theoretically could rain sometimes and still be bright enough to keep your full lights from turning on. Some states have laws that require you to turn on your head and tail lights when it rains. (oops, I saw that someone already answered it)
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

Like someone else already said i use the switch to turn on my tail lights during rainy and foggy days, my car is white so it blends into the road when the weather is poor and i dont want to end up in an accident.
ned23

Re: (GenuineVibe)

Post by ned23 »

Quote, originally posted by GenuineVibe »... my car is white so it blends into the road when the weather is poor and i dont want to end up in an accident. I've always wondered how people with white cars can find them in a snowy parking lot.
vibolista

Re: (ned23)

Post by vibolista »

The auto lights on/off feature is pretty sensitive. Sometimes around sunset (or sunrise) on narrow back roads the lights can pop on as you pass heavily shaded spots and then turn back off in more open areas. Along a 2 mile stretch of road, the lights on my Vibe cycled on and off about 7 times. Can't be very good for bulb longevity. The light switch helps in these situations. and also when you have daytime fog or rain as noted in previous posts. Auto lights are ok, but when I'm trying to back up through heavy falling snow or thick fog at night, it would be really nice to be able to shut down the headlights.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Whelan

Re: (vibolista)

Post by Whelan »

I disabled mine cause of my HIDs and because I hate the sensitivity. Driving on the roads here in CT there are lots of trees that driving under can cause them to go on and off, makes you look like a tart.My dad's old station wagon had auto lights, but it had a sensitivity selector so you could tell it when to turn on.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT