Roof Rack / Ski rack

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Bocaj77

Roof Rack / Ski rack

Post by Bocaj77 »

Im looking for a Ski holder that works good with the Vibes stock roof racks. Any recomendations? Part #'s
kunkstyle

Re: Roof Rack / Ski rack (Bocaj77)

Post by kunkstyle »

I believe the GM one is a re-badged Thule rack. I'd take a look at what Thule has.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
skimaxpower

Re: Roof Rack / Ski rack (kunkstyle)

Post by skimaxpower »

Thule and Yakima are like the Acura and Lexus of roof racks. You're gonna get quality product either way. No real big difference. But once you buy into a system, you sorta have to stick with it...The factory bars with the the 03-06 Vibe will take a "universal mount" ski rack. Basically it clamps onto the oval bars. If you are looking at the square GM/Thule utility bars, you'd probably be best going for a Thule Ski rack.The real problem with the Vibe is that the rack is mounted so far BACK. you can't open the hatch with skis on the car. Lame. I went for a custom setup. A bit different, on my 07 base Vibe. I prob wouldn't do this if you have a sunroof. Click the paperclip to see my setup.Another great option for Vibe owners who ONLY want to carry skis, is Thule's snowcat. But again, this shifts yer stix to the back and interferes with the hatch. Additionally, it doesn't let you carry a cargo box, bikes, kayaks, etc.

Attached files
kunkstyle

Re: Roof Rack / Ski rack (skimaxpower)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by skimaxpower »The real problem with the Vibe is that the rack is mounted so far BACK. you can't open the hatch with skis on the car. Lame. Depends on how you load your skis in it. I can still open my hatch about 7/8 of the way up.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
OLimoges

Re: Roof Rack / Ski rack (kunkstyle)

Post by OLimoges »

skimaxpower wrote:Thule and Yakima are like the Acura and Lexus of roof racks. You're gonna get quality product either way. No real big difference. But once you buy into a system, you sorta have to stick with it...The factory bars with the the 03-06 Vibe will take a "universal mount" ski rack. Basically it clamps onto the oval bars. If you are looking at the square GM/Thule utility bars, you'd probably be best going for a Thule Ski rack.The real problem with the Vibe is that the rack is mounted so far BACK. you can't open the hatch with skis on the car. Lame. I went for a custom setup. A bit different, on my 07 base Vibe. I prob wouldn't do this if you have a sunroof. Click the paperclip to see my setup.Another great option for Vibe owners who ONLY want to carry skis, is Thule's snowcat. But again, this shifts yer stix to the back and interferes with the hatch. Additionally, it doesn't let you carry a cargo box, bikes, kayaks, etc.

Attached files
What do you use for your setup ?
400 XT on the front ?
And on the back - 450 crossroad ?

Because I would like to get my ski on my vibe, but don't want to spend a lot of money and be abble to open the hatch with no problems !

TKS :)