My Tailgate Project

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
02csnow

My Tailgate Project

Post by 02csnow »

I was getting bored with just the bolt on aftermarket parts for our cars. So I decided to start a project. It took a few weeks ( only due to being busy with other things ) but it can be done quicker and is not that pricey. With just a little bumper filler or body filler, a little elbow grease, and a good paint job. It can be done. I will get some more pics up this weekend when I install it.Now for the picsSemi-before, you all know what it looks like, just look at your tailgate.Final productDo not attempt to duplicate, highly dangerous. LOL
Bye Bye Vibe.............
ajflan

Re: My Tailgate Project (02csnow)

Post by ajflan »

Cool! I like that. It looks great.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
Kamikaze

Re: My Tailgate Project (ajflan)

Post by Kamikaze »

Damn you... I've been thinking about doing this, now I'm not sure if I want to... I hate doing the same thing as everyone else.. although there really isn't a lot that we can do since they don't offer all that much for aftermarket stuff...LOOKS AWESOME!!! I might still do it...
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
kevera

Post by kevera »

Told you it would look good,turned out better than I expected.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
~MRVIBE2006~

Re: My Tailgate Project (kevera)

Post by ~MRVIBE2006~ »

Extremely cool looking! I would be happy with my handle being the body color (Abyss). How did you get it off in the first place? Plus, would it be better for me to find an abyss tailgate handle and replace it that way or paint it myself?
2006 ABYSS VIBE: 20% TINT ALL AROUND FRONT & REAR SPLASH GUARDS MAGNAFLOW CAT-BACK EXHAUST GOODYEAR EAGLE GT (235/45/17) WITH TC WHEELS (SUMMER) DUNLOP WINTER SPORT M3 (215/55/16) ON STOCK ALLOYS (WINTER) AUTO VENTSHADE WINDOW VENTS PLUS SUNROOF VENT K/N AIR FILTER,OTHER DRESS-UP GOODIES...
altimar

Post by altimar »

That looks awesome. I've actually thought about doing that myself, but I wasn't sure about the painting. Did you do it yourself or take it to a shop? If DIY, what paint did you use? My vibe is platinum also.
2007 Vibe: Wave monotone, Auto, sun & sound
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

looks good buddy
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

that looks sweet Mike, very well done too is it back on the car?
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

That looks awesome!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
02csnow

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by 02csnow »

It is not on the car yet. I will be doing that this weekend.To remove it, you need to take the big plastic piece on the inside of the hatch off. There is 6 bolts holding it on.I did not paint it myself, wanted it to look real good. I got it done by a local shop and it was $40 to paint.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

looks amazing none the less..cant wait to see it when it's on..one thing i would have done was to shave the lock on it..i've yet to use my lock for the hatch
02csnow

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by 02csnow »

Quote, originally posted by WaveAction »looks amazing none the less..cant wait to see it when it's on..one thing i would have done was to shave the lock on it..i've yet to use my lock for the hatchI thought about it, but ended up just leaving it just in case.
~MRVIBE2006~

Re: (02csnow)

Post by ~MRVIBE2006~ »

Besides filling in the Pontiac logo, did you have to do any other prep work to the handle (sanding or cleaning)? Or did the shop that painted it do that?
2006 ABYSS VIBE: 20% TINT ALL AROUND FRONT & REAR SPLASH GUARDS MAGNAFLOW CAT-BACK EXHAUST GOODYEAR EAGLE GT (235/45/17) WITH TC WHEELS (SUMMER) DUNLOP WINTER SPORT M3 (215/55/16) ON STOCK ALLOYS (WINTER) AUTO VENTSHADE WINDOW VENTS PLUS SUNROOF VENT K/N AIR FILTER,OTHER DRESS-UP GOODIES...
02csnow

Re: (~MRVIBE2006~)

Post by 02csnow »

I did all the prep work my self. From filling in with the filler, to the 3 stage sanding and the final cleaning. The shop did clean it up a little before painting.
Toasted7

Re: (02csnow)

Post by Toasted7 »

That looks sweet... can't wait to see how it looks on the back of the car.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
02csnow

Re: (Toasted7)

Post by 02csnow »

Well, I took the old one off and put the new one on. And it looks goooooood. I will get some pics up tomorrow and post them in my garage. Its starting to get dark.
hambox

Post by hambox »

I've been wanting to do this since I debadged the Vibe. Looks great, get some on car pics up ASAP!Anyone have any idea where you could get this trim piece? I'd like to do this mod myself, but I don't want to mess up the one on the car now.
CountryVibe

Post by CountryVibe »

Looks great
2005 GTmoons & tunes, keyhole covers, SRI,2.5" borla catback exhaust, seatbelt beep deletedWagons Rule.......Sedans Drool
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

Installed
hambox

Post by hambox »

Super clean!
altimar

Post by altimar »

Looks *really* nice. I got rid of the dealer sticker and pink pontiac arrow within the first week or two, but I keep procrastinating pulling my vibe badges off.It would be perfect if you could get the keyhole covered. There was a thread here about keyhole covers for the doors, but apparently as of February no covers for the hatch keyhole. Maybe we need to bug the guy and he'll have them made for us... PS. Is the genvibe search broken? It would not find 'keyhole covers'. I had to use google to find that thread: 'site:forums.genvibe.com keyhole covers'
2007 Vibe: Wave monotone, Auto, sun & sound
UptownVibe

Re: My Tailgate Project

Post by UptownVibe »

HAs anyone else gotten around to doing this? How much work is it to get to the pre-paint stages (I'd have a pro paint it)?I think covering it with body color adhesive wrap migh be easier, cheaper and achier the same visual affect, while not being permanant or as strong of a finish.Anyone have some thoughts?
UptownVibe-2003 Base, Silver Monotone-16"OEM Rims, Turanza EL400's-WigWag Strobe 3rd Brake Light Circuit, Sunroof Soft Stop Removed-A) Wolo Bad Boy + Stebel Compact Truck Horn B) Factory Horn-Grafxwerks silver front overlays (matches car color), Fully Debadged inside and out, Rear "Pontiac" hatch handle inlay overlay (to make it disappear)-Clean Visors (Don't you know how an airbag works by now?)-Garmin Nuvi 660 w/ Hardwired Traffic Receiver via under-dash 3rd 12v plug
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow, looks great. Cheap way of cleaning up the body!
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Looks really good. Clean. What did you use to fill the lettering?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires