kayak carrier available for stock roof bars?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
KNINE

kayak carrier available for stock roof bars?

Post by KNINE »

I just purchased a set of the flat roof rails for my 2006 Vibe for the sweet price of $7.00. I found them on an S-10 Blazer at a local junk yard. Before I go through the hassle of installing them, does anybody know if somebody makes a kayak carrier that will fit these? I think they are called J-bars? I know they are available for aftermarket foor bars that GM sells, but I'm cheap.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
rsaxman

Re: kayak carrier available for stock roof bars? (K-NINE)

Post by rsaxman »

lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Thule or Yakima. They usually have a special mount for factory bars.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
skimaxpower

Post by skimaxpower »

Thule Hullaport or Hullaport Pro should work just fine. You're looking at about $140 for the J-style carriers. Both of these are compatible with factory bars, right out-of-the-box.
KNINE

Re: (skimaxpower)

Post by KNINE »

That sound like what I'm looking for. I have to tell you though, after I finished kayaking on Memorial Day, my arms were so tired I don't know if I could lift my kayak high enough to get it on the roof.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Kamikaze

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by Kamikaze »

just to update on this post on my purchase...I bought a set of Yakima Bow Downs, and they didn't fit the clamp that goes under the crossbar is to big.I also purchased a set of Thule Hulla port Pros (835 pro) they fit with a little modification, I flipped the bolts upside down and used some washers/nuts.Sorry no pics yet as I just started this yesterday, and will test it tomorrow with 2 yaks on them. I will have to re-do the nuts and bolts to make them fit a little more flush, but I pretty much have all winter to do this.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Kamikaze

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by Kamikaze »

nothing close up of the rack, but here's a pic of the vibe with 2 kayaks on it.same photo attached.

Attached files
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage