Two-toning cladding?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Zer0VIBE03

Two-toning cladding?

Post by Zer0VIBE03 »

Well it looks to me as if some of the Vibes on here have either come with two-tone cladding, or they have painted it themselves.It seems like it's just plain plastic to me, so is it easy to paint? I was thinking of masking off some of the areas on mine and painting it a shiny/satin black, doing the grilles the same way. As much as I like how it looks, if I can paint it just as easily I will definately do so.BTW, I have the gray cladding, not the car color matching whatnot.So how easy is it? Anyone have any experiences with this?TYIA,Zer0.
2003 "Lava" Vibe
02csnow

Re: Two-toning cladding? (Zer0VIBE03)

Post by 02csnow »

The ones that are fully painted are called monotone. I dont believe anyone on here has attempted to paint it themselves. A couple have taken it to the paint shop.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

i used to work in a paint shop and was told that the two-tone plastic was different listing then the paintable. you can paint it but it wont hold nearly as well (you might get two yrs)
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
Zer0VIBE03

Re: (Raivis)

Post by Zer0VIBE03 »

not even w/ a lot of prepping? that's dissapointing because I thought black cladding would look better with my Lava than the charcoal. I don't think I would want to pay for new cladding either >.<.. hmm I will search for some options.
2003 "Lava" Vibe
vibolista

Re: (Zer0VIBE03)

Post by vibolista »

How about finding trashed monotone Vibes and using the surviving painted cladding to repaint it the color you want. Just an idea.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

i had mine painted last summer and it has held up fabulous, even better than my boyfriends recently repainted bumper (meant to be painted, unlike the cladding)not only has it not chipped or anything, but when it was hit in a parking lot (*tear*) it obviously had scratches, but it didnt crack or have any of that spiderweb effect that often happens when incidents happen
VivaVibe

Re: Two-toning cladding? (Zer0VIBE03)

Post by VivaVibe »

GrayFox aka ANO Vibe had his cladding painted black. Look in the Garage under Team Moonstone, his is the first pix; he can tell you all the details. He too had it done by a shop.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
kevera

Re: Two-toning cladding? (VivaVibe)

Post by kevera »

The cladding has same part # painted or not.So paint away.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

^ are you sure about that? I thought that the painted was a primed piece different than the cladding from the factory, because i can actually feel a difference of texture slightly between the cladding and the regular
Zer0VIBE03

Re: (ITcar)

Post by Zer0VIBE03 »

Quote, originally posted by ITcar »^ are you sure about that? I thought that the painted was a primed piece different than the cladding from the factory, because i can actually feel a difference of texture slightly between the cladding and the regularWell I can tell you right now that the cladding that is gray or w/e is not clear-coated... in fact it may just be the color of the plastic, unpainted and bare... So obviously if something is clear-coated it will feel smooth and nice.
2003 "Lava" Vibe
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

^ mine was two-toned has been painted...so both are clear coated, but i can still feel a difference
scherry2

Re: (ITcar)

Post by scherry2 »

the unpainted lower cladding parts are the same part # as the painted ones. the only difference is one is painted one isn't.