Pinstriping - still cool or a flash back to the 70s?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Suselew

Pinstriping - still cool or a flash back to the 70s?

Post by Suselew »

I have always loved pinstriping, but that probably dates me back to the 70s and 80s. I am seriously considering getting silver pinstriping on my new Vibe. The dealer says it's gaining in popularity and they do it all the time, but frankly, I haven't seen it (or maybe paid no attention) for years.Thoughts from the younger crowd here?
keithvibe

Re: Pinstriping - still cool or a flash back to the 70s? (Suselew)

Post by keithvibe »

painted pinstripes or tape pinstripes... i have chrome pinstripe tape on my vibe...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joholste

Post by joholste »

i think it looks good and is a good accent when done properly
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
Suselew

Post by Suselew »

Not sure which type yet...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the laughingstock of my office when I drive it in!
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

holy im about to poop myself did the vibes not come with pinstriping??!?! im soooo confused cause my car has it...lo!
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

im with joholste, pin stripes only look good if done right, if they dont follow the lines of the car..then it just looks bad.as for paint or tape pinstripe..it's all about how much you wanna spend..get some estimates of how much it'd cost for both..and go from there
nate06

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by nate06 »

I pinstriped my Grand Prix and it looked great because I followed the lines of the cars. The way I did it was to lay down a thin strip of masking tape (moving it around until just right) and then use the masking tape to help place the stripe.
06 Stealth Vibe5 SpdDrag Dr9 Wheels
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

i can post pics of mine tomorrow if you would like to see it on mine
nate06

Post by nate06 »

Quote, originally posted by Suselew »but that probably dates me back to the 70s and 80sI guess pinstriping was popular in the 70's because my Special Edition Trans Am has about 100 feet worth of pin striping.
06 Stealth Vibe5 SpdDrag Dr9 Wheels
Suselew

Re: (ITcar)

Post by Suselew »

Yes, would love to see pictures!
keithvibe

Re: (Suselew)

Post by keithvibe »

photo of mine with the pinstripe
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
CoolAKid

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by CoolAKid »

My '06 Platinum two-tone came with a black pinstripe, but it was done by the dealer. Seems all the Vibes they had on their lot at the time had the pinstriping. So if you bought one off their lot, it came pinstriped. I think they tacked on something like $95.00 (!) for it. But I do like the way it looks, and it sets off the upper fenders and doors nicely. If it didn't already have it, I'd probably put it on.
"...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that Heavenly Glory..."'06 Base Platinum Two-Tone. Automatic. Manual doors and windows. Old style factory crossbars AND GM Utility Bars. Old style center console lid. All-weather front floormats. Rear bumper fascia protector. Drawtite hitch.
ITcar

Re: (CoolAKid)

Post by ITcar »

heres some horrible pics of my car in the dark, let me know if you want better ones, lol
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by joholste »i think it looks good and is a good accent when done properly+2
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
asburydan

Post by asburydan »

Of course, I'm from the era when pinstips were more popular, but I like the one I put on my Vibe. It is 1/4" Black. I also have the black overlays on the arrowheads and on the PONTIAC on rear. Here's a photo. I took it at lower resolution so if the stripe looks wavey, it's not, it is the camera resolution.
asburydan - moved from Vibe to 5th Mustang.
NibCrom

Re: Pinstriping - still cool or a flash back to the 70s? (asburydan)

Post by NibCrom »

I had pinstripes on my car when I first received it. I have since taken them off.
asburydan

Post by asburydan »

Sorry, didn't realize I had to reduce photo file for it to attach.

Attached files
Sublimewind

Re: (ITcar)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ITcar »heres some horrible pics of my car in the dark, let me know if you want better ones, lol I thought you bought springs for that sucker... it still looks lifted.... lol...
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Suselew »I have always loved pinstriping, but that probably dates me back to the 70s and 80s. I am seriously considering getting silver pinstriping on my new Vibe. The dealer says it's gaining in popularity and they do it all the time, but frankly, I haven't seen it (or maybe paid no attention) for years.Thoughts from the younger crowd here?What color is it going on?? I think some cool "old school" Von Dutch style pin striping would be sweet... Look at some examples.. http://images.google.com/image...ab=wih ... OaEhMHe3jo
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

if done tasteful, i believe pin striping can really make a car stand out in a very subtle way.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
keithvibe

Re: Pinstriping - still cool or a flash back to the 70s? (asburydan)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by asburydan »Sorry, didn't realize I had to reduce photo file for it to attach.what happened to the rest of the pinstripe? it starts in the middle of a fender and ends in the middle of the rear quarter panel? Take a photo further away to show it better because that photo don't do the car justice
asburydan

Post by asburydan »

Here's a better photo. I choose the length and placement of the stripe on purpose. I like it, plus it generally fits the slight ridge in the side of the body. I choose the stripe over using a larger graphic like I had on my truck. Anyway, the black on white with overlays, etc. looks better to me than plain Frosty. The Carolina Tar Heel flag is a FREE add on to encourage Vibe folks for the Final Four weekend.

Attached files
Suselew

Re: Pinstriping - still cool or a flash back to the 70s? (Sublimewind)

Post by Suselew »

It's going on a steel blue metallic....the name of that color is very deceiving. It is actually more like a blue violet (more blue than purple)....it's a medium dark color and is very striking. Everyone says go silver and I agree. The wheels are shiny (GT model). I was thinking of going two colors...bigger stripe silver with a smaller accent stripe of black (inside is mix ebony cloth/leather). Is that too much? Stick with one color only? I don't want it to look cheesy.