Saris Bones RS Bike Rack

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
mtnbikerguy23

Saris Bones RS Bike Rack

Post by mtnbikerguy23 »

Hey guys. Proud new owner of a Vibe after 8 years of cycling year round without a vehicle. I still plan on cycling as much as I can of course.I'm looking at getting this rack instead of using the roof or having a hatch installed for a hitch mounted rack.My question is, does anybody around here have this rack and will it fit into the trunk ? It looks like it should but want to be sure before I have my bike shop order it for me.Thanks in advance for any comments.EDIT: I should say of it fits under the cover and the seats up. Just so it's hidden doesn't get stolen.
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

first off, welcome to genvibeif your interested in keeping the bike in the vibe check out this thread (link below) and save yourself some $$http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=28162i did the same thing and used these fork mountshttp://www.performancebike.com...=true
mtnbikerguy23

Post by mtnbikerguy23 »

Coldmm:Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that I could potentially do what that person did but wasn't 100% sure. And not too much to spare with 1 inch either!I think I'll get myself the list of hardware and do that up but still need to look for an external rack set-up. Sometimes I'll have some of my kids (three) with me and that set-up wouldn't work. Unless.... maybe I"ll take the 60 split seat and do a split single mount for each seat?If I had all three then I couldn't put the bike inside. That's the reason why I need to know if the Saris Bones RS can fit in the trunk in case I did have two passengers in the back.
wyatt89

Re: (mtnbikerguy23)

Post by wyatt89 »

http://www.saris.com/p-216-guardian-2-bike.aspx i own that rack and it holds my lovely specialized nicely, and its rally tested and nothing fell off of it while getting airborne, i would buy it again if it got stolen or something. check it out if you are still considering other racks oh and welcome to genvibe!
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I have a Saris, hitch mount for my BMX bikes... I loved it, cause I didn't have to worry about scracthing anything... getting the bikes on/in the car..
Gonzo

Re: Saris Bones RS Bike Rack (mtnbikerguy23)

Post by Gonzo »

I have the Saris Bones 2 and really did not carry for it much. It was a little flimsy. Plus there is no sercurity with those type of racks. I just installed the Hidden Hitch receiver (recommend) and a Thule 917 (link below). It was a little expensive but now there are no worries. http://www.thuleracks.com/prod...u=917
lovemyraffe

Re: Saris Bones RS Bike Rack (Gonzo)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to the fam. Great to have another cyclist. I love my Yakima roof racks. The biggest thing I have against the hitch mount racks is, what if you get rear ended? Now your car and bikes are toast. The Vibe really isn't that tall and fairly easy to get multiple bikes on top (the most I have had is 6 at once, but carry 4 regularly). .
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Gonzo

Re: Saris Bones RS Bike Rack (lovemyraffe)

Post by Gonzo »

My main reason for going with the hitch style was gas mileage. I have a roof rack on my Civic and it really messed with my mileage. It would drop it by about 5 miles a gallon. I would remove it during school (drive about 210 mile during school semesters) trying to minimize gas cost. With the hitch style I get to fold it up and not kill my mileage. Yeah the rearend thing has crossed my mind, but I try not to think about it. I did buy a set of cross bars so I have the option of putting more than two bikes on.PS. Another drawback to the Bones 2 was one of the leg mounted in the middle of the rear window. If you just happen to hit the rear window wiper button, you have a problem.
lovemyraffe

Re: Saris Bones RS Bike Rack (Gonzo)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Having experience with my Yakima system on many different vehicles, the Vibe is the best with lost mpg. With just the rack on top I lose less than 1 mpg. When I carry cargo on top; bikes, snowboards, it doesn't effect it as much as you would think, usually 2-3 mpg. I carried 2 kayaks on top once and actually got better mpg (I'm still trying to figure that one out).
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

As for a downside to the roof racks, my brother forgot about his bikes once. Drove into his garage, well, I think you could figure out the rest.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »As for a downside to the roof racks, my brother forgot about his bikes once. Drove into his garage, well, I think you could figure out the rest.DOH....
wyatt89

Re: Saris Bones RS Bike Rack (Sublimewind)

Post by wyatt89 »

hahaha
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
B4snake

Post by B4snake »

I also have a Yakima bike rack and love it! It is so much easier to put bikes on the roof then jam them into the trunk.. Also.. I'm a taller guy so my larger road frame doesn't fit in the trunk well.. nether does my Downhill bike.. Bomber FTW!! I also managed to turn the Rack into a working light bar!!
B4snake

Post by B4snake »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »As for a downside to the roof racks, my brother forgot about his bikes once. Drove into his garage, well, I think you could figure out the rest.I've done that too when I had the rack on my dads Audi.. The rack Ripped off, smashed his rear window, Ruined my Fork, and somehow managed to break our garage door..And it was a nice fork..
lovemyraffe

Re: Saris Bones RS Bike Rack (B4snake)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by B4snake »I've done that too when I had the rack on my dads Audi.. The rack Ripped off, smashed his rear window, Ruined my Fork, and somehow managed to break our garage door..And it was a nice fork.. You can tell a real cyclist when they are more concerned about the bike than the car or themselves.