Roof container

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
ilynn

Roof container

Post by ilynn »

For lack of the knowing the proper wording, please help. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. I'm trying to find an enclosed storage box to have put on the roof rack to help carry additional items.Has anyone had this done? If so, where did you get it. I need someone locally? Does it greatly hamper your handling of the car and the gas mileage?Thank you all.
joatmon

Re: Roof container (ilynn)

Post by joatmon »

Hi, and welcome to genvibe.I imagine that it will affect gas mileage, especially at highway speeds. Vibe's are also a bit suscecptible to cross winds, I'd expect a roof top cargo carrier to increase that to some extent. I'm not sure the effect swould enough to keep you from getting one though. Depends on how aerodynamic it is, and how big it is. There are a couple of threads about them, a search for carrier turns up a few, not sure they will help though.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id ... 11172Don't really know what to offer for a place to get one in Birmingham. Maybe another Alabama viber will speak up. If you do get one, please let us know what you get, and how you like it.Quote, originally posted by ilynn »Please respond to me privately if you can so the list won't get crowded. sername@domain.netFirst, We like the list to get crowded. Hopefully people with actual input (note, I'm not including myself in that group) will reply here in the thread, that way the information will be available to anyone else who comes along later with a similar question.second, what's posted here is viewable by anybody on the internet, and it is also wide open to search engines, so I recommend not posting an email address, unless it is one you really don't care if you get a lot of spam. If you change your mind about postinig your email address, you can hit the Edit link over on the right and modify what you posted
chopperdad44

Post by chopperdad44 »

I just ordered an 11cu. ft. soft carrier from roofbag.com. I'll let you know how it fits etc. if you like. Checked some for hard carriers but think this will fit the bill.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I have a Highland Cargo Bag that I used on my Explorer and have used once so far on my Vibe. It worked great, but it does drop the gas mileage a little. They are sold at Autozone, Pep Boys and Walmart. here's a link to it: http://www.highlandusa.com/cat..._id=0
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

I got the mid-sized box from Pep Boys (11cu.ft maybe) a few months back when I needed extra space for a camping trip. It was a PITA to put on because of the way the U-bolts go around the Vibe Roofrack crossbars. But once on it worked well. It probably shaved a few mpg off, but I did not notice any exceptional handling problems - probably because the car was loaded down with people and gear for the whole trip.I did take it off as soon as the trip was over - way to f-ugly to leave on. Now I have no place to store the dang thing
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/