Choosing a trailer hitch...

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Randal5579

Choosing a trailer hitch...

Post by Randal5579 »

I'm looking through the various trailer hitches available for my 2006 Vibe, and can't tell any discernable difference.Can anyone with some hitch experience tell me what to look for, etc?I've looked at the Hidden Hitch brand, and some others. The only thing I'm using it for is my bike rack, no towing a trailer. But I don't want this big nasty thing hanging out the backside of my car all the time.Thanks for your time.
mbc

Re: Choosing a trailer hitch... (Randal5579)

Post by mbc »

Here's a hidden hitch that will work well.http://www.trailerhitches.com/...PT185I recommend no more than a 1500# gross weight trailer and no more than about 200# of tongue weight. If you try to pull a larger trailer the car can not handle it SAFELY, i.e.. brakes, etc. Too much tongue weight will impact the steering control.I'm sure others will offer some good recommendations, too.
'06 Whte, basic, w/sunroof called Ms. Daisey.
joatmon

Re: Choosing a trailer hitch... (Randal5579)

Post by joatmon »

i have a hidden hitch, bought it off ebay, apparently nobody else saw the listing because I got it for real cheap, but haven't used it for much yet. of the various options, the hidden hitch is the least visible once installed. At one point ( http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...66035 ) there was a code of "genvibe" that could save you a few bucks if you buy from etrailer.com
Digger

Re: Choosing a trailer hitch... (joatmon)

Post by Digger »

I got a Hidden Hitch for my 05. I pull a boat that weighs about 800# I got it herehttp://search.cartserver.com/s...GO%21
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

I bought one for a Matrix, installed but never used, 1 1/4" receiver, my bolt holes on my Vibe AWD were 12mmx1.25, hitch works great, you need an adaptor to hook up your trailer wiring.Evidently the Matrix adaptor is NOT the same. I hauled a yard of topsoil the other day and the trailer itself weighs 750#...........yup a little overloaded , but took the backroads, the trailer has a long tongue so there is never a problem with a heavy tongue weight.
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
hellbender

Post by hellbender »

i'm looking to add a hitch to take the bike rack that goes in my isuzu trooper hitch, i will probably have to modify the hitch, add a larger receiver....
06 stealth, FWD autosport, preferred, sun and sound all about the gas mileage, carpooling, hauling gear- bikes and kayaks, outdoors and progressive green concepts