Removing Pin striping

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
stoavio

Removing Pin striping

Post by stoavio »

I recently purchased a dark blue Vibe that has some pin striping. In some areas it has been lightly chipped and I'm not sure I like how it looks much anyway so I'd like to take it off. My questions are, for those of you that have done it: 1.) Is there any risk involved in damaging the paint?2.) Will there be any glue or adhesive residue left behind after the pin striping is removed? 3.) What's the best way to effectively remove all of it without leaving any trace behind? Should it be soaked with something? Heated up? I know there are tutorials and articles relating to this online but I wanted to hear from someone who either knows about removing them or who has done it before. Thanks!
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

hmm when i had my emblems removed..i just heated it up abit to get the glue loose and then just pulled it off..once i did that..i used goo gone or even rubbing alcohol on it and just wiped it off..then washed the car after to make sure it wouldnt ruin the paint...i also used a rubber wheel on a drill to get the majority of the adhesive that was left behind
02csnow

Re: Removing Pin striping (stoavio)

Post by 02csnow »

it all depends on how long it has been on there. but i should just come off pretty easily, most likely in pieces. after removing just take some quick clean spray and go over where the pinstrip was to get off and left over glue
Bye Bye Vibe.............
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

Thanks guys. I've got goo gone. That won't ruin the paint will it?
breezd

Re: (stoavio)

Post by breezd »

Goo Gone will not hurt paint. Just make sure you wash it afterwards and try to keep it in the spots where the adhesive is to be safe.I removed the pinstripes off of my Blazer when I had it and I had no problem at all.
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

Thanks Breezd. Did you heat the pinstripes first? How do I begin?
kevera

Post by kevera »

Depends on how old it is.But,I would use a hair dryer on it to soften the adhesive on the pinstripe.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a shot and report back with my results.
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

Good luck.... I am sorry you don't like them *sad eyes glance at my neptune Vibe with his pinstripes*I guess that will make my vibe more unque then, huh? lol
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
mcgusto82

Re: (Vibr8tr)

Post by mcgusto82 »

I removed my paint stripping with GOO GONE. I't came off pretty easily. Should take you about 30 minutes.
stoavio

Re: (Vibr8tr)

Post by stoavio »

@ Vibr8tr: Clever name, lol. The reason I don't like them on my Vibe is because they've already chipped or peeled off in certain areas. I've seen Vibes with pin striping that look real nice and I'm sure yours does as well! No hard feelings, ok? I believe my pin stripes are the standard factory ones (I think they were standard in 2003, right?) so they've been on for about 4 years. I shouldn't worry about there being a difference in paint color just yet should I? Also, since it's not on a horizontal surface, I don't think the sunlight has been direct enough to cause there to be a noticeable fade between the pinstriped and non-pinstriped areas. Thanks for all of your help everyone.
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

My pin stripping was a dealer added mod. What color is your vibe? Some paint colors would show sun fadding far worse than others.
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

@mcgusto82: It's a dark blue Vibe (also referred to as Neptune I believe, right?)
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

ok, I will forgive you about not liking the pinstriping, they are an aquired taste.... however, you must learn that it's neptune, and not only always call it that, but slap people that call it blue....I like to tell people that, I even told a cop that once when he handed me a ticket, I said, "This isn't right... it's not blue, It's Neptune".... , he just laughed and said "I bet the courthouse can't tell the difference anyway"
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

@Vibr8ter: LOL. Nooooice.
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

You should be good then. Blue, oh excuse me, NEPTUNE is a dark color and doesn't fade much as other colors. Colors like red, excuse me, LAVA.so your blue, again excuse me, NEPTUNE vibe should be ok.