Need help fixing passenger side mirror

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Andy

Need help fixing passenger side mirror

Post by Andy »

The mirror on the passenger side popped out of the housing and I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it. the mirror is not broken, I thought all I needed to do was pop it back in but that did not fix it. the mirror is in but will only adjust from left to right and back but not up and down. What am I missing?
joatmon

Re: Need help fixing passenger side mirror (Andy)

Post by joatmon »

I had a falling tree branch recently pop my driver's side mirror out of the housing. Unfortunately, it broke the little clips that are part of the mount on the housing side, one on each side of the pivot point. I can get the glass back in, but it flops around a bit while driving.Anyway, I took pictures of mine. I attached it but did not have it automatically display in case the size of the image should cause anyone a problem. Top part shows the housing, the middle shows the back of the glass, the bottom part shows the broken clips on mine.The areas marked H and V are the motors that control the Horizontal and Vertical movement of the mirror. The blue pegs on the back of the glass are threaded, and when the motors spin, it either pulls or pushes the blue peg, depending on the direction of spin. The blue pegs have bumps on them that fit into slots to keep them from spinning in the clips on the back of the glass. Easier to put the blue pegs into the glass first, and then match the pegs up to the motors (at least easier for me)Since on yours you can move the mirror side to side but not up and down, I would guess that the blue peg is not engaging the vertical control motor. Hopefully it is lined up and you just have to push it on over the motor shaft.

Attached files
Andy

Re: Need help fixing passenger side mirror (joatmon)

Post by Andy »

When I got home last night I put your advise to work and I was able to fix it, it is working great now.Thank you so much for your help. Sure saved me from taking it in to the dealer.
bitmap

Post by bitmap »

joatmon wrote:I had a falling tree branch recently pop my driver's side mirror out of the housing. Unfortunately, it broke the little clips that are part of the mount on the housing side, one on each side of the pivot point. I can get the glass back in, but it flops around a bit while driving.Anyway, I took pictures of mine. I attached it but did not have it automatically display in case the size of the image should cause anyone a problem. Top part shows the housing, the middle shows the back of the glass, the bottom part shows the broken clips on mine.The areas marked H and V are the motors that control the Horizontal and Vertical movement of the mirror. The blue pegs on the back of the glass are threaded, and when the motors spin, it either pulls or pushes the blue peg, depending on the direction of spin. The blue pegs have bumps on them that fit into slots to keep them from spinning in the clips on the back of the glass. Easier to put the blue pegs into the glass first, and then match the pegs up to the motors (at least easier for me)Since on yours you can move the mirror side to side but not up and down, I would guess that the blue peg is not engaging the vertical control motor. Hopefully it is lined up and you just have to push it on over the motor shaft.
My mirror is flopping sometimes (bumpy roads and whatnot) and at times moves jerky when using the electric control to go up-down and left-right. I removed the mirror and when looking at my mirror parts the pivot and loops seem fine, the blue pegs are fine, and the housing and clips seem fine. However, I'm not able to get the clips to connect to the mirrors loops around the pivot point. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

bitmap wrote:
joatmon wrote:I had a falling tree branch recently pop my driver's side mirror out of the housing. Unfortunately, it broke the little clips that are part of the mount on the housing side, one on each side of the pivot point. I can get the glass back in, but it flops around a bit while driving.Anyway, I took pictures of mine. I attached it but did not have it automatically display in case the size of the image should cause anyone a problem. Top part shows the housing, the middle shows the back of the glass, the bottom part shows the broken clips on mine.The areas marked H and V are the motors that control the Horizontal and Vertical movement of the mirror. The blue pegs on the back of the glass are threaded, and when the motors spin, it either pulls or pushes the blue peg, depending on the direction of spin. The blue pegs have bumps on them that fit into slots to keep them from spinning in the clips on the back of the glass. Easier to put the blue pegs into the glass first, and then match the pegs up to the motors (at least easier for me)Since on yours you can move the mirror side to side but not up and down, I would guess that the blue peg is not engaging the vertical control motor. Hopefully it is lined up and you just have to push it on over the motor shaft.
My mirror is flopping sometimes (bumpy roads and whatnot) and at times moves jerky when using the electric control to go up-down and left-right. I removed the mirror and when looking at my mirror parts the pivot and loops seem fine, the blue pegs are fine, and the housing and clips seem fine. However, I'm not able to get the clips to connect to the mirrors loops around the pivot point. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.
Teeth on the gears might be worn

I have extra black side mirrors for sale...