Window Tinting: What to watch out for?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Vibetastic

Window Tinting: What to watch out for?

Post by Vibetastic »

I've decided to get the windows tinted on my 05. Dark for the rear half and lighter for the front doors.I was quoted $245.00 at Tint Masters in Costa Mesa CA. How do I compare one business to another? What should I look out for? I want to get a quality job and not something that will peel off in a year.
Proud owner of a 2005 Vibe. Moon & TunesAlloy wheelsOnStar Lava with Slate interior
kerrykerrykerry

Re: Window Tinting: What to watch out for? (Vibetastic)

Post by kerrykerrykerry »

Just make sure to get a full metallic/hybrid tint, so it wont fade in the coming years. I havent heard problems with any tint peeling. Ask to see some of the shops "work," if they tell you they dont have any to show, then tell them you can wait till you see a peice of their work.p.s. did you know you have a red matrix for your avatar thing?
tcam

Re: Window Tinting: What to watch out for? (kerrykerrykerry)

Post by tcam »

I think that your safest bet is to find a store through friends. Ask around and see what shop does quality tinting. Try to find recomendations from other auto stores. Then, like what KerryKerryKerry said, ask to see a pieece of their work. Just to make sure that you're at a good shop.
SuperSpeedWagon

Re: Window Tinting: What to watch out for? (tcam)

Post by SuperSpeedWagon »

I agree with tcam just ask friends and go from there, word of mouth is your best bet man. but good god thats you expensive tinting place, and I thought mine was expensive i only payed 110 with a lifetime warranty, but good luck on that man your going to see a huge change in and out of your car. Your car will get cooler faster and your vibe would look awesome from the outside lol its true!!! peace
2010 vibe gt
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

And ask what kind of tint brand they use. Lumar (?) is good i hear.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i've had 3M tint on my last 2 vehicles with great success. i believe phil's also 3M on his. no problems, very good quality. $245 sounds like a lot of money though. I had mine done for $150 all around and that's in AK where everything costs MUCH MORE!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
dallarosaj

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by dallarosaj »

I think that the price of tint depends on where you live do to what the cost of living is to get my car tinted is 400.00 the norm is 500.00 but that is also is taking off the old tint as well.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

400? wow that is a lot. I think with out removing old tint its about 180-250 in MN. 180 is a friend's work and 250 i think was at a shop...
iinan

Re: (northvibe)

Post by iinan »

make sure you get a lifetime war. on the film and the installation !
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
tcam

Re: (iinan)

Post by tcam »

Wow, from what I'm hearing I seem to have gotten a great deal on my tint.My tinting was $160. This was without old tint on. Also, the tinting that I chose was one step up from the most basic version which was about $120 I think. The most expensive option was $280. And all of these came with a lifetime warantee.
ColonelPanic

Re: (northvibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »And ask what kind of tint brand they use. Lumar (?) is good i hear.Llumar is very good film, if it were me I'd say insist on it. I had that on the Vibe, I'd highly recommend it! It was some sort of "metal combination film" or something to that effect... Shouldn't ever fade, never did in the almost 2-years it was on that car. The car that came before that one had some tint from a well known locally owned tint shop and it looked like dump after the same amount of time. I don't know what they used, the tint was holding up but sure was faded. Anyway, as far as what to look for in a window tinting shop: Find examples of their work and ask about it, like was mentioned above. Great advice! If you see someone at work with a great looking tint job, ask the car's owner about it... That's how I ended up finding out about the guy who I chose to tint my Vibe. He's not a big name shop, he works out of his garage on weekends and the like. But he has quite a great reputation here in the area nonetheless, thanks to car clubs/etc... (removed) and attentitve to all the little details doesn't even begin to describe it. He even actually cares enough about your car to not beat the crap out of it when working on it, etc. Great films, great prices, lifetime warranty on film and labor, and I got to be there watching the entire time (and sorta helped.) I was very impressed with the job done on the Vibe, blew every other tint job I've had done away by a longshot and only set me back $160 for everything including the windshield strip. The Accent is going back in a couple weeks for $130 since I'm a repeat customer. I guess I'm just trying to say, don't dismiss the little guy too! Do a little digging around, check with some car gurus in your area. It could very, very well be worth your time and effort. You may be very surprised.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Vibetastic

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Vibetastic »

Can somebody recommend a good place in Orange County CA to tint my windows?The place I got the quote from uses Johnson Window Films. I don't know if that is good or bad.I get my new Wet Okole seat covers installed this weekend. I'd like to get the window tinting done next weekend.
Proud owner of a 2005 Vibe. Moon & TunesAlloy wheelsOnStar Lava with Slate interior
Vibetastic

Re: (Vibetastic)

Post by Vibetastic »

Well, the places I have contacted about window tinting seem very similar.One place uses Johnson film, the other uses Safegard. Which is better?
MarathonVibe

Re: Window Tinting: What to watch out for? (Vibetastic)

Post by MarathonVibe »

My window tint was 170. That was for 2.5% all around with a 2.5% front windshield banner and the front windshield is tinted 30%. Lets just say you cant see in all around.
MaRaThOn ViBe