How to replace body side mldg on passenger door

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
rickhow

How to replace body side mldg on passenger door

Post by rickhow »

When I first got my Vibe (one month old, in 2004) someone opened their door and chipped paint on drivers side front door body side mldg. Cost me $120.00 to replace!!! Now the paint on body side mld on right front door is chipped twice. It appears to me, pretty much a novice, that I could just buy the mldg from parts department and replace myself, and save at least the labor portion of the $120 charge. But I'm not sure..... --would I just pull off the old mldg or is there a trick to it so as not to damage paint on door? --does new mldg then just "peel and stick" on or is it clips with which I might have a problem? --before applying new mldg does the area need to be cleaned off with anything in particular?Any help/advice is appreciated.
joatmon

Re: How to replace body side mldg on passenger door (rickhow)

Post by joatmon »

I don't know how to properly replace that part, but it seems like it would be a lot easier/cheaper to just get some touch up paint and cover the paint chips. Could get expensive replacing that every time it gets a paint chip.
rickhow

Re: How to replace body side mldg on passenger door (joatmon)

Post by rickhow »

Tried that...came out looking like crap...I can never get the touch up paint for chips to look good...I don't expect it to look perfect, but it almost shows worse than just leaving the chips alone.
dallarosaj

Re: How to replace body side mldg on passenger door (rickhow)

Post by dallarosaj »

The door molding on the side just pulls off go to Wal-Mart and buy the 3M adhesive remover and let it stand for about 2 min then pull off the old molding, clean and then put the new one on.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

goo gone works good to remove adhesive too, but i think theres snaps? or popper things like how door panels are held on, as my molding came off last time and i saw them.
rickhow

Re: (northvibe)

Post by rickhow »

I guess I'll just visit the parts department, they should be able to tell me if it comes with just adhesive mounting or snaps...I'm hoping adhesive.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well im like 99% sure it uses snap pop things atleast, if it uses adhesive 3m makes body molding just for this, my parents just got me some yesterday from the 3m shareholder meeting.