Need Help On GM Bra Install

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
TheBri

Need Help On GM Bra Install

Post by TheBri »

I have installed the hood peice and half done the bottom peice, but my question/need help on is installing the bottom part of the bottom bra. There are those tabes there and I have no idea if you have to fold them or if the clip/tuck into somewhere? If someone has pics of theres installed, that would be great to see. plus also the tabes that go where the hood closes onto, are they tucked into anything also? and the 2 wheel well ones. I know there is one that gets cliped into the screw you put in the hole and there is another 2 that have the clips on them and tuck somewhere? Thats per side each wheel well. The instructions that came with it are vary none decriptive and could use some help from you guys! Thank You,Bri
Mavrik

Re: Need Help On GM Bra Install (TheBri)

Post by Mavrik »

you bend them to hold the lower piece in place. Basicly you curl them to form a hook on the bumper. I wish I had a pic to show you of mine. Same with the top ones. They need to be bent into hooks to hold those areas in place.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

When I did mine, which isn't a GM bra, I had to get a pair of needle-nose plyers and bend ~24 clips. The ones that you have to form to go on the bottom can be bent fairly tight by just folding them half. The ones that are on top, in the engine compartment, have to be rounded a bit...depending on the location. Mine had two clips that fold over the radiator support by the headlights; these took me a few tries to form correctly. As for the two tabs in the fenders, you have to bend them tight by folding them half. These will be the toughest ones to put on, if you're bra is like mine, because they're the main tension points for keeping the bra tight. Once formed, the tab is placed over the fender lip between the fender and the plastic inner fender. Then, you have to pull the snaps over and snap them. It's much, much easier if you do this on a warm day or lay your bra in the sun for five minutes to losen it up. I've posted some pictures here someplace of mine, let me se if I can find them so you can see my tabs/clips. BTW: For me, this has been a real paint saver. I take it off roughly every two weeks and vacuum the back, to get the grit off. However, here are two things to keep in mind. First, moisture can build up under it and stay there for days, even in hot weather. If you have a heavy rainstorm or days on end of rain, make sure you take it off sometime when possible and let it dry out. The other thing, and I learned this the hard way, is do not use petroleum-based cleaners like "Armor All" to shine it. I used it one time in January to dress it up after a few weeks of especially bad weather. The next time I took it off to wash the car, the vinyl protectant had leached through to the paint. The damage consisted of some large cloudy areas on the hood (nothing on the larger nose section though). I had to rub two coats of Mother's Carnuba Cleaner Wax on to clean off most of it, but it still took a week of sunny weather and no bra for it to completely go away. I also had to rub the underside of the bra to get any residual Armor All. Now I've found that water-based, low-shine vinyl protectants like Meguiars and Mothers will work fine with no residue at all.
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I don't know if these will help too much, but maybe you can see the stitch points for the tabs/clips and get an idea of where they go.http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...4.JPGh ... ..7.JPGI'd take some close-up pics of the tabs for you, but my wife's at work.
TheBri

Post by TheBri »

Thats awsome. Thanks alot, I wanted to make sure that the tabs get bent or if the tuck into somewhere. I didn't want to start bending them untill I asked. Its funny, I fix the robots that make cars/trucks and parts like these, but I can't put on my car lol. Now I have a good idea on what to do for it, but I won't be able to put in on untill 3 weeks from now witch sucks because I want to see it on the car.I don't know if its posible but can someone take a pic of clips that go on the inner fender, to see excatly were they go? Is it right between the inner fender (Black Piece) and the outter fender (painted part)?Thank You A Lot,Bri
Mavrik

Re: (TheBri)

Post by Mavrik »

I used needlenose pliers as well when bending mine. Worked great.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
TheBri

Post by TheBri »

Does anyone have a picture of the tabs that going into the wheel well/fender area just to see what is supposed to look like? I don't want to start bending the tabs in the wrong way.Thank You,Bri