New Vibe Owner - Roof Rack - Side Rail recommendations. Carrying 2 Kayak's.

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
91d28

New Vibe Owner - Roof Rack - Side Rail recommendations. Carrying 2 Kayak's.

Post by 91d28 »

Hi Everyone,New to this forum ... Just picked up my 2006 Vibe 3 day's ago. Ordered it back in Mid-September !!!Anyway's need your help in deciding how to best get two (2) 10' Wilderness Kayak's up on the Vibe's roof. I don't need to purchase anything ASAP but want to have things ready for Spring. I am new to roof racks so do not know what is best to get for the existing roof rails that come with the Vibe.Any suggestions / help / assistance is greatly appreciated !!!J

Attached files
2006 Base Model with Stability Trak, ABS and Power Pkg. Moonstone
brbo

Re: New Vibe Owner - Roof Rack - Side Rail recommendations. Carrying 2 Kayak's. (91d28)

Post by brbo »

Great looking Vibe,, looks like mine - I have an '06 AWD in that colour,, In regards to the roof rack, I picked up OEM (GM Accessories) Load Bars - they are very slick and look like they will work out well,, I've only had mine for a short time as well so no testing of the rack as of yet - but they are extremely sturdy and affix keyed to the factory side rails extremely slick,, best of all (I think they are Manufactured by Thule) they are the 1" square tube so it will fit any Thule or square bar attachement,, ie. Rocket Box, Basket Cage, Bike, and a few different Kayak attachments,,, take a look if you need any more info let me know,,B '06AWD

Attached files
brbo

Re: New Vibe Owner - Roof Rack - Side Rail recommendations. Carrying 2 Kayak's. (brbo)

Post by brbo »

next

Attached files
brbo

Re: New Vibe Owner - Roof Rack - Side Rail recommendations. Carrying 2 Kayak's. (brbo)

Post by brbo »

last

Attached files
brbo

Post by brbo »

Kayak Attachment

Attached files
91d28

Post by 91d28 »

Thanks brbo for all the pics and suggestions.Please check your PM's.J
91d28

Post by 91d28 »

Hmmm .. don't think you can do PM's on this forum ... Here's what I wanted to say:Thanks for all the pics and info. I was going to get the OEM rails but my GM dealer stated that they are overpriced and I could get the same thing and about 1/2 the price (off of Ebay) ... Your thoughts?
brbo

Post by brbo »

I paid $129 CDN from my Dealer in vancovuer BC + applicable taxes,, never checked Ebay since I got them when I bought the vehicle along with a Hitch assembly,,, which was also $129 + tax + $60 for install and wiring inside the left rear panel inside hatch,, hope this helps,, B
91d28

Post by 91d28 »

Thanks again B for you help.I think I will go with the GM part like you did. It looks like it fits quite well. The Thule and Yakima were going to cost me over $200 for the samething.GM part here in Ontario is $177.50 though !Thanks again for all your help. J
ZubenElGenubi

Re: New Vibe Owner - Roof Rack - Side Rail recommendations. Carrying 2 Kayak's. (91d28)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Can't give you a solid recommendation, but there was a related discussion a couple months back that may be of interest to you:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=19916
91d28

Post by 91d28 »

Thanks ZubenElGenubi for the link. I just got finished reading it and it answered a few questions for me.I want to put two (2) 48 lb Kayaks (10' ft in length) on top of the Vibe. What is your recommendation on what I should do ?Thanks in advance,J
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Quote, originally posted by brbo »Great looking Vibe,, looks like mine - I have an '06 AWD in that colour,, In regards to the roof rack, I picked up OEM (GM Accessories) Load Bars - they are very slick and look like they will work out well,, I've only had mine for a short time as well so no testing of the rack as of yet - but they are extremely sturdy and affix keyed to the factory side rails extremely slick,, best of all (I think they are Manufactured by Thule) they are the 1" square tube so it will fit any Thule or square bar attachement,, ie. Rocket Box, Basket Cage, Bike, and a few different Kayak attachments,,, take a look if you need any more info let me know,,B '06AWDDoes anyone know the part number for these GM bars? Thanks.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
91d28

Post by 91d28 »

Hi,The GM Part # is 12498684. I have seen them on the Web from the USA at a price of $104.00.J
djb383

Re: (91d28)

Post by djb383 »

Thanks, appreciate it.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Kenn

Post by Kenn »

I have been looking into setting up a system for two kayaks as well. The major problem as I see it is the 75 pounds weight limit for the factory rack. One of my boats is 45 pounds and the other is 53 pounds. I don't really want to risk my kayaks or someone else's life on the bet that the 75 pound limit is being conservative. I was toying with the idea of avoiding the factory rails entirely and setting up a front AND a back tower system, but the Thule and Yakima customizing web pages don't seem to like that idea at all. They don't seem to mind setting up such a system on a Matrix and I can't imagine a great difference. I would really like to know if anyone has actually done something of this sort. p.s. I have already read arguments about just going with a trailer and I am not really interested.
vibedrvr04

Post by vibedrvr04 »

Hey, looks great dude....you gonna do any mods to it or keep it stock?