Changing DRL to the parking lamps not headlamps??

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
666vibe

Changing DRL to the parking lamps not headlamps??

Post by 666vibe »

I like my Trans Am where the DRL are actually the orange turn signal lamps, versus the VIBE where the headlights are on all the time.Anyone aware of a way to rewire to have the DRL's run the turn signal lamps and not the headlamps?
2005 base Vibe - Moonstone: MagnaFlow, STB, Cosmo CAI, tinted, JVC stereo with Sony speakers, removed roof rails.
Mr. Poopypants

Re: Changing DRL to the parking lamps not headlamps?? (666vibe)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Welcome to GenVibe! That is a really good question. I'll be keeping an eye on this, I would love to change it around.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
Mase

Post by Mase »

I think I've actually looked into this before and concluded that it would be almost impossible to do it.The front and rear parking lights are wired together via a junction block. If it were possible to move the drl's over, all your parking lights would come on at the same time. You'd get the same results by disabling your drl's then flipping your switch to the parking light position whenever driving around.The drl box, according to schematics, looks pretty exclusively integrated into the lo-beams.
djaybi

Re: Changing DRL to the parking lamps not headlamps??

Post by djaybi »

Hi,

I'm digging up this old post. Has anyone succeeded in turning the front parking lamps in DRLs?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

djaybi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:16 am Hi,

I'm digging up this old post. Has anyone succeeded in turning the front parking lamps in DRLs?
The response Mase provided is accurate.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Mase wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:32 am I think I've actually looked into this before and concluded that it would be almost impossible to do it.The front and rear parking lights are wired together via a junction block. If it were possible to move the drl's over, all your parking lights would come on at the same time. You'd get the same results by disabling your drl's then flipping your switch to the parking light position whenever driving around.The drl box, according to schematics, looks pretty exclusively integrated into the lo-beams.
It wouldn't be as difficult as you think. You can use the same schematic I've posted in the past, and instead of changing your DRL from the low-beam to the high-beam, power up the parking lamp instead. The only difference would be you'd have to wire a diode inline on the parking lamp wire that runs to the front parking lamps to keep the +12v from feeding the rest of the lamps. You also won't need the resistor.

https://i.imgur.com/yaoKWIY.jpg
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
djaybi

Post by djaybi »

Slammedniss,

Thanks a lot for the diagram. I'll see where the wires are, and draw a diagram for the parking lights. From what I can see, it won't be very different from your setup indeed. I have to figure out where the Tail light junction box is, and put the diode between the front parking lights and this junction box.

With your mod, are you still able to flash your high beams while on DRL mode (briefly pulling the light lever towards you)? Some mods tend to cancel this function.