Paint Chip Repair

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
09vGT

Paint Chip Repair

Post by 09vGT »

Does anyone know if either of these two kits would be worth it? I've got some serious paint chips that need to be tended to and a new paint job is a little out of reach right now.

http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-pa ... epair.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.autogeek.net/langka-paint-ch ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SlammedNiss

Re: Paint Chip Repair

Post by SlammedNiss »

I never have, but damn if that guy working on the Bimmer don't make it look easy.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
mynameismatt

Post by mynameismatt »

Did you end up purchasing the Dr.Colorchip kit?

I have one ordered - I'll let you know how it turns out if your interested. My '09 GT has some decent chips on the front hood - thought this would be worth a shot. I'm planning on it taking multiple coats.
TraumaForYou

Post by TraumaForYou »

So anyone find some good ones then? I've got some decent chips all around and thought about some chip repair kits.
mynameismatt

Post by mynameismatt »

Here is a "quick a dirty" review of the Dr. Colorchip kit.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. The system is fairly straightforward to use and simple to use. The color seems to match very well. It's a simple idea and I experienced fairly good results. It probably depends on the color, but the metallic black blended very well. While the results are very much better than simply buying a paint pen at the auto parts store - don't expect perfection. If your ok with a great paint cover that looks good from 2-3 feet away you'll be very happy with the kit. YOU will always know the chips are there - but the kit succeeds in preventing others from seeing them unless they look very closely. Again, if you want perfection, you'll probably need to go to the body shop for a respray.

I took a few photos before and after. Not the best quality (cell phone) but hopefully they give you some idea of what you can expect. Hope this helps.

before

after