Replacing rear top panel on Vibe 2007

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
cythraul

Replacing rear top panel on Vibe 2007

Post by cythraul »

Hi everyone,

I don't know how this happened but I saw yesterday that a corner the rear top panel was badly rusted. On the outside it looks like a small discolered bump but when you look underneath, you can see how bad it is. I don't know how to say it but you see "layers" of rust.

So I'm looking for a black top rear panel that I could replace instead of trying to repair it.

The part I'm refering to is P/N 970920 (PANEL RF RR HDR.) #28 on this schematic.

I'm been browing a bit for it and can't find any. My best bet would probably be junkyards but I called a few and they are not sure of what body part I'm talking about. Is there a better term then "top rear panel?"

If you have one to sell, let me know! :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Neglected to mentionned that I'm looking for an already painted in black part..
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
Raven

Re: Replacing rear top panel on Vibe 2007

Post by Raven »

Oh the joys of living in the rust belt of Quebec!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

WOW ... and to think I thought our Vibes were one of the better protected (from corrosion that is) cars out there. Can't help you BUT I'd like to see the damage that you experienced. Any way to get some good shots of this rusted component and post them for all of us to see? For a seven year old car I'd say this is a little pre-mature, unless you drive a Chrysler product :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

Raven wrote:Oh the joys of living in the rust belt of Quebec!
En effet! :)
tpollauf wrote:[...]unless you drive a Chrysler product :lol:
Or a f* Mazda. I owned a 98 MPV. I know rust.
tpollauf wrote:WOW ... and to think I thought our Vibes were one of the better protected (from corrosion that is) cars out there.
The Vibe/Matrix have very few problems indeed in term of rust -- and in most other areas. :) However, the only major one I know is very hard to fix. All Vibe/Matrix (at least here in Quebec where we use salt heavily) eventually rust on top of the windshield because small rocks hit it occasionally and salt gets in it and the cancer starts.

When maintained, it can be controlled but I've seen some bad ones that would require to remove the windshield, sand to the metal and repaint. Of course, there's a high risk of cracking the windshield in the process.

This problem is compounded by the fact that it can't be treated by rust prevention treatments because of it's location.

I saw some of the early models (2003-2005) that were rusting behind the door handles.. not a lot of it's another thing to look for when looking for an second hand Vibe.

However, I never saw another with the problem I have. Here's the pics. Not pretty and getting worse by the minute.

It's another spot quite hard to shoot some anti-rust oil and the two Krown techs who worked on my car never thought of, at least, shoot some of their stuff in two the small holes inside. Not sure how much if would have helped in my case, but it could certainly not have hurt.

I bought the car in 2011 and I'm pretty certain it never was rust treated. :(

I've been hunting for a 2008 Vibe with a 2.4L, a roof window and ABS in pristine condition/low mileage. Mine does not have these and I always felt it was lacking. Not to mention that mine is a 1.8L. I'd welcome the little boost. ;) Any why go with a 2007/2008? Because of the rear window that open without opening the whole door. It's awesome to haul 10'+ lumber. :)

cyth
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

cythraul wrote:I've been hunting for a 2008 Vibe with a 2.4L, a roof window and ABS in pristine condition/low mileage. Mine does not have these and I always felt it was lacking. Not to mention that mine is a 1.8L. I'd welcome the little boost. ;) Any why go with a 2007/2008? Because of the rear window that open without opening the whole door.
FYI, the 2.4L engine was only available on 2009-2010 Vibes. All 2003-2008 Vibes have 1.8L engines ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

vibenvy wrote:FYI, the 2.4L engine was only available on 2009-2010 Vibes. All 2003-2008 Vibes have 1.8L engines ;).
ooops. indeed, I'll remove that criteria from my search then. It's sad that the 2009+ Vibe/Matrix removed the ability to open the rear window. I can understand why they did it tho.

On the rust part, interestingly enough, Protégez-Vous -- the Quebec equivalent of Consumer Report -- have this Top 10 of best and worse resistance to rust. It's in french but I think it speaks for itself. :)

http://www.protegez-vous.ca/automobile/ ... tante.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Try looking for a Vibe with the 2ZZ-GE engine instead. That's a GT or XRS model (Matrix).
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

lannvouivre wrote:Try looking for a Vibe with the 2ZZ-GE engine instead. That's a GT or XRS model (Matrix).
Yes but no. :) Since my wife is the Vibe daily driver and she wants an automatic transmission, it rules out the 2ZZ-GE. From what I understand, it came only on the GT in the 2003-2008 models.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

cythraul wrote:Yes but no. :) Since my wife is the Vibe daily driver and she wants an automatic transmission, it rules out the 2ZZ-GE. From what I understand, it came only on the GT in the 2003-2008 models.
Then you're kind of stuck with a rather anemic engine (and the four-speed automatic Toyota loves so much). I won't lie, even a Prius has more kick than the 1ZZ-FE. It may be incredibly reliable, but there are times the unwilling drivetrain has nearly gotten me in serious trouble due to inconsiderate drivers.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit