Factory Vibe aluminum 17" wheel cap replacements?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
jolt

Factory Vibe aluminum 17" wheel cap replacements?

Post by jolt »

Does anyone know of a replacement center wheel cap for the 2009 factory Vibe aluminum 17" wheels? The GM part number is 20835338 and is more $80.00 for a set of four. I was hoping for something cheaper from a different car that would fit, maybe a Matrix? Any ideas for replacements?
zbyers

Re: Factory Vibe aluminum 17" wheel cap replacements?

Post by zbyers »

I believe i've seen some running them off of the G6 alloy wheels.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

Yes zbyers, the center caps from the G6 look the same but the size is different. From what I can find for information is that the G6 caps are 2.25" diameter and the Vibe 17" wheels with the P24 option are just a little over 2", about 2.085" or 53mm. The G6 caps will not fit into the recess in the wheel. I was hoping that someone here may have replaced theirs with something else and could let me know what they used.

I believe there was a problem with the center caps on these wheels as I found three or four revision part number that where superseded each other. Somewhere along the way, I remember people having problems with the caps falling out. GM released a TSB on the caps that called to silicone the caps onto the wheel to prevent the caps from falling out. When i bought the car, the caps where silicone in on the cap fingers. Not a problem until my wife took it to her brothers shop to get the wheels balanced. The caps are now junk as they were smashed back on with out cleaning out the old silicone first. Like the saying goes, you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives. I am not real happy to say the least.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

There are usually a lot of used center caps on eBay.

I've seen 09-10 Vibe owners use 03-08 Vibe center caps, so, apparently those are a perfect fit.

Also, check car-part.com.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

You could probably use a rubber o-ring around the g6 cap to get it to fit into the hole.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

I found the 2007 and 2008 Pontiac G5 center caps fit the factory Vibe 17" wheels but it is the same problem (expensive) because they are the same caps. I ordered some center caps for a Mini to try. I do not know if they will fit or not, but for under $5 on ebay, I thought it was worth a shot. They should be close but not a lot of details on the dimensions of the caps. I will report back when i find out if they fit.
jolt

Post by jolt »

The Mini wheel caps do not fit directly. I had to turn down the O.D. of the caps, taking about 0.025" off the outside diameter. I also took 0.050" off the back face so the caps would sit flush with the wheel. At $4.60 shipped for four caps from ebay, it was a cheap gamble. The caps can be made to work if you have a lathe and some time to do the machining. It is way cheaper then ~$100.00 shipped for four GM caps.