non tpms wheels

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
lilwhitevibe

non tpms wheels

Post by lilwhitevibe »

The vibe I recently purchased looks like the hubcaps have been curbed many times. Was considering purchasing some 5x100 Subaru wheels. Can I run non-tpms wheels on my 08 vibe? If so what problems/side effects should I expect? Any input would be greatly appreciated! ......Thanks
andrewclaus

Re: non tpms wheels

Post by andrewclaus »

My '07 does not have sensors in the wheels. It has an indirect system, and uses the ABS speed sensors to find differences in rotation speed. I think that changed in '09, so you should be good to change the wheels on the '08

Mine, purchased six months ago, had the same problem. I solved it with a cheap set of $30 plastic covers that I modified with 1" drywall screws driven from the inside to add a little bite at the steel rim. They've been working fine so far.
vibolista

Re: non tpms wheels

Post by vibolista »

Check the Subaru offsets. Vibe 03-08 offsets are 39 mm for the 16 x 6 1/2 Steelie and Alloy. The 17 x 7 Alloy wheel has an offset of 45 mm.

If your Vibe doesn't have ABS brakes, then your wheels will have pressure sensors. If you install wheels that don't have a sensor on them, you'll have to put up with the Low Tire Pressure Warning Light. Some who have done that, just put a piece of black electrical tape over the warning light to hide it.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires