Tire Shopping?... Here's a deal (6-20-17)

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
VibininFla

Tire Shopping?... Here's a deal (6-20-17)

Post by VibininFla »

Tire shopping ?... Looking to buy new ? ...
I just put on a brand new pair of rubber up front and got a good tire (it appears) at a really good price so thought I'd share. I'll withhold the brand-name for a moment ... it's not Continental or MIchelin or Pirelli.... I never heard of these. And when I went to pick them up I expected to see 'made in China' or perhaps Vietnam on them but i saw neither.
Start w/ the specs :
92 V Treadwear 600 Traction A Temp A
Nice specs, right?
If it was one of the three names I mentioned up top then we know we're talking over a hun a piece, right?
Walmart ... 49 and change (plus installation chge if you have them do it, plus tax).
Sears ?.... even better, 42 and change (plus the same, but, for the 7 buck per tire savings I went ahead and added their 2-year road hazard warranty).
Tire is a "Radar Dimax AS 8" ... yeah, never heard of them, but i figured, if they're carried/sold/serviced by Walmart and Sears, and a road hazard guarantee is available, for the price, why not? I got a pair of 205/60/16 because i want them just a tad taller so they can flex a bit more, and w/ 40 psi I'll still have a smooth ride, and a tad taller also means a bit longer circumference so i can eek out just a bit more mpg. So far they feel great, dry and wet, and no noticeable noise.
If someone's shopping, maybe worth a look (and , oh yeah, not China, not Vietnam, Thailand).
(Caveat : I do not work for Sears or Walmart or the tire manufacturer either)
Caretaker

Re: Tire Shopping?... Here's a deal (6-20-17)

Post by Caretaker »

Radar, and yes, Timberland tires are manufactured under the Omni manufacturing group. Funny thing is, I can't find the country of origin; somewhere in Europe I believe. When it comes to driving my 2000 pound death machine, as Sting would say, "contestant in a suicidal race"......I'm unwilling to test out tires from India, China, or any startup. Tires are the second most important safety item on your car, with the driver being the most important. Having a blow out or sliding on ice is often deadly. I'll stick with the ratings I find on Tirerack and then go down the list until I find a tire that is both highly rated yet fits my financial situation.
MacGyver

Re: Tire Shopping?... Here's a deal (6-20-17)

Post by MacGyver »

Read this story about counterfeit tires: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm
Somebody stole the moulds and kept making tires of unknown composition without the knowledge of the manufacturer.

Tires are the only thing that touch the road, so IMHO they are of paramount importance.
2009 Vibe Base