Buying 4 new steel wheels for a 2005

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
jsmellie

Buying 4 new steel wheels for a 2005

Post by jsmellie »

We got our first major winter weather here in Detroit a couple weeks ago. I slid on some ice while trying to turn, hit a curb at low speed, and wound up bending one of my steel wheels. My auto shop wants $160 to order me a new one, which I know is ridiculous. Another local shop can sell me a new one for $65 and install (mount/balance/dispose) for $15. That's not bad, but I wondered if I could do better.

The whole set of wheels is pretty ugly (they're the original OEM set on my 2005 Vibe), so I would consider replacing them all. I've tried searching online (Car-Part, GM Parts Center, TireRack, eBay) to see options for new wheels, but I'm not good at getting results. I know wheels from other vehicles will fit just fine on the Vibe, and I know the folks here can make those recommendations.

What's the best price I can get on 4 new steel wheels for my 2005 2WD Vibe?

Heck, while I'm at it, my wheel covers are in horrible shape and need to be replaced. What's the best price I can get on 4 new wheel covers? OEM preferred, but I'd consider anything else that's a good fit and a good deal, as long as it's a set of 4.
Owim

Re: Buying 4 new steel wheels for a 2005

Post by Owim »

When I bent my 09 vibe chrome clad wheels I went with steelies and got a set from ebay for about $240 total. For some reason(it's been about 2 years I can't remember if they just didnt make them for the vibe or w/e) I could not find oem steel wheels so I just ordered them from a guy who makes them custom. the offset and bolt pattern are the important things to look at.
2009 2.4 AWD
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

As far as the steel wheels go, if the other three are not structurally damaged i.e. bent, I would save yourself some money and just sand them down and re-paint them. For the damaged one, there is a listing on eBay for a brand new steel wheel for $65.00 shipped.

As far as wheel covers go, I discovered a few years ago while looking to buy OEM wheel covers for the winter wheels for our 09 GTs that used OEM wheel covers on eBay are not that much cheaper than brand new ones through GM. I ended up just ordering them through GMPartsCenter.net because I figured it was worth spending a little more money to get wheel covers that would not be scratched up and all. GMPartsCenter often does discount codes that typically save you 10% on any order of $150.00 or more. With the holidays right around the corner, they should be sending one out any time now. The wheel covers could also be painted using Krylon Fusion which is made specifically for plastic. No sanding or prep. Just clean and paint. They also make a clear coat.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jsmellie

Post by jsmellie »

When it comes to cars, I have almost zero DIY experience. If sanding and painting is really easy (save for the elbow grease), I'd be willing to do that. If not, I'd probably just leave the three old wheels as is... unless the surface rust is going to damage them. What does this process look like?

As for the wheel covers, they're missing large chunks and are cracked; paint won't do a thing for them. I need new covers. I had hoped to go with OEM, but I have no problem going with an equivalent third-party part if it's a much lower price. I just can't figure out how to determine what will and won't work well on our wheels. Any suggestions?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

jsmellie wrote:When it comes to cars, I have almost zero DIY experience. If sanding and painting is really easy (save for the elbow grease), I'd be willing to do that. If not, I'd probably just leave the three old wheels as is... unless the surface rust is going to damage them. What does this process look like?

As for the wheel covers, they're missing large chunks and are cracked; paint won't do a thing for them. I need new covers. I had hoped to go with OEM, but I have no problem going with an equivalent third-party part if it's a much lower price. I just can't figure out how to determine what will and won't work well on our wheels. Any suggestions?
Sanding and painting the wheels is very easy. You should be able to find plenty of how-to videos on YouTube. Doesn't even need to be a Vibe. The process will be applicable for any steel wheel no matter the vehicle it's on.

Regarding wheel covers, any aftermarket wheel cover will work as they just snap onto the wheel. Aftermarket wheel covers will be cheaper than OEM. You could also check eBay, Craig's List and / or car-part.com for used OEM wheel covers. You may get lucky and find used ones that are in decent shape for cheap.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage