Stock Tire Question

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
CDNpatriot

Stock Tire Question

Post by CDNpatriot »

I went to the dealer as I have a slow leak in a tire. Dealer said it was due to a previous plug leaking as well as the side of tire by the rim area. Offered to plug it up for $25 and "reseal" for another $25. Then I was advised that the tire was "old" (it's a 2009 Vibe GT) and had cracks and I should change it for that reason. As I use winter tires I have about 50,000 km on it and they are stock tires.

Is it usual to have to change stock tires so soon? Ever hear of cracks in a tire because the tire is 7 years old?
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
jake75

Re: Stock Tire Question

Post by jake75 »

On my 09 Vibe a year ago I had one bad tire as well. While the other 3 were ok as only 33,000 miles I decided to replace them all as those will likely last me until I finally sell or trade in the Vibe. After some research I bought Yokohama tires and am happy with them. They are less noises than the originals.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, 7 years is too old. Heck, almost every Michelin I have ever owned has developed sidewall cracks and you know how much we pay for those. You need to simply do your research on tirerack.com Once you have decided on the tire you want, either buy from them, or go to one of a dozen on line tire stores and purchase that way. There are lots of great deals on line. Don't risk your family's life on aging tires. Like it does to our skin, the sun wears out the rubber. As such, cracks develop and the heat dissipation factor declines. Both of those are only good for blowouts and accidents. And just FYI: there is NO more important number on the side of a tire than the Department of Transportation (DOT Week/YY) date. That born-on-date is there to let you know when it is time for new tires, despite how much tread life remains
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The cracks are dry rot. Eventually, the cracks get longer and deeper and may eventually lead to failure.

Tire manufacturers include chemicals in the tire's composition that prevent this cracking- ever see the brown "bloom" on the sidewalls? As the tire turns, the chemicals migrate to the surface. Over time, the chemicals are depleted and the tires start to crack.

On your next set of tires, try using a product like Meguiars Endurance Tire Dressing or Hot Shine™ High Gloss Tire Coating, which claim to replenish these chemicals.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... e-coating/
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... y-aerosol/
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

CDNpatriot wrote: Then I was advised that the tire was "old" (it's a 2009 Vibe GT) and had cracks and I should change it for that reason. As I use winter tires I have about 50,000 km on it and they are stock tires. Is it usual to have to change stock tires so soon?
I'm in the same situation as you are but with fewer miles. I never gave dryrot any consideration when my older 1992 F-150 blew a tire going through downtown Atlanta on I-75 during rush hour while driving back home from Florida. What a mistake that was. Truck was only 12 years old at the time and maybe 35000 miles on it with the original tires. Replaced them all immediately. Hopefully I'll be good up to the ten year mark on my Vibe (three more years to go) and then I'll likely replace the tires. My Vibe is always garaged and not exposed to constant UV rays.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"