Taller tires on Vibe

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
WMBigs

Taller tires on Vibe

Post by WMBigs »

Hi all, we recently picked up a 2010 Vibe AWD. The tires look just a tad short. I would like to replace the 205/55-16 for some 205/65-16's. I know the speedo will be off a bit. Has anybody done this? Any downsides that I may not know about? Really don't want to go the plus 1 route. We don't drive hard at all. I think it would look better and give a slightly better ride.
Thanks, MikeB
gtv237

Re: Taller tires on Vibe

Post by gtv237 »

You would loose some fuel economy due to rotating mass, less wheel travel before bottoming out and possible clearance issues. Although it would raise the vehicle up slightly which could be useful depending on where you drive.

You're speedo will also read slower than you're actually going. Mine reads 4mph slower than the actual speed and everything is stock. I wouldn't want it to be any more off that that! :lol:
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

I went with 205 60 16s, they look good, ride great, and the speedo is actually right on accurate now, verified by GPS. Used low rolling resistance Continentals, the mileage is great.

Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

jayoldschool wrote:I went with 205 60 16s, they look good, ride great, and the speedo is actually right on accurate now, verified by GPS. Used low rolling resistance Continentals, the mileage is great.
Great idea! That would correct my speedo (-3) also!
WMBigs

Post by WMBigs »

Thanks everyone, Wife is loving her vibe! I will verify the speed with my Garmin. I had went with taller tires on my Jeep Comanche and noticed an immediate boost in mpg on highway. Didn't seem to effect it in town. 65 on speedo= 70 true speed. The Vibe seems to have a short 1st gear, so a taller tire will change that impression slightly. OTOH, it is not in 1st but briefly.
MikeB
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Chiadog wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:I went with 205 60 16s, they look good, ride great, and the speedo is actually right on accurate now, verified by GPS. Used low rolling resistance Continentals, the mileage is great.
Great idea! That would correct my speedo (-3) also!
To be clear if you get a taller tire your speedo will read slower than before. So if your speedo is already a couple miles under actual speed, a taller tire will make it worse.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

OOPS! Should have said my vibe runs -3 mph from the speedo reading at highway speed.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I assume that if the speedo is affected due to a different tire size, the odometer is also affected.
On my 2009 the speedo is pretty accurate but the odometer is off - for every 100 miles on the odometer I have actually gone about 102.5 miles.
Therefore my mpg calculation based on the odometer reading is about 2.5% less than the actual mpg.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
WMBigs

Post by WMBigs »

For winter, we picked up some Blizzaks 205/60-16. The speedo is spot on now.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

jake75 wrote:I assume that if the speedo is affected due to a different tire size, the odometer is also affected.
On my 2009 the speedo is pretty accurate but the odometer is off - for every 100 miles on the odometer I have actually gone about 102.5 miles.
Therefore my mpg calculation based on the odometer reading is about 2.5% less than the actual mpg.
Mine 05 has 225/45/R17. The speed reading showed 67 mph on the side of highway when the speedometer showed 70 mph. So I guess my mpg should be 95.7% of what I have calculated.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)