venting

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Jschaf024

venting

Post by Jschaf024 »

I have to....

have an 05' vibe base with 112,000. bought it used private sale with snow tires on it and summer tires in the trunk. went to take off the snow tires and all five lug nuts on the drivers side broke off with the studs. three on the passenger side, and two on the drivers side rear. $100 and 8 hours later i replaced the broken studs and got new lug nuts. apparently these are some rare lug nuts.,only one place had them after calling around... wanted 11.00 a piece, told the guy he was on crack and got a discount at 7.50/lug nut. after he told me they had them in the warehouse but then he said he didnt after i paid for everything and offered to pick them up to save time.
if anyone sees a guy named jerry in bay city with a brown curly mullet please punch him in the face for me for torqueing the crap out of these bolts.

time for a beer.
2005 - base. FWD
vibrologist

Re: venting

Post by vibrologist »

You deserve that beer!
Too bad you were in such a time crunch. I think this community would have helped you out with reasonably priced lug nuts.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Jschaf024

Post by Jschaf024 »

I wasn't aware you could buy/sell/ trade here. That's great! Really glad I discovered the site. Thanks to everyone
2005 - base. FWD
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Jschaf024 wrote: if anyone sees a guy named jerry in bay city with a brown curly mullet please punch him in the face for me for torqueing the crap out of these bolts.
(removed) :lol: :lol: :lol: Laugh My A S S off !!!

On a sad note I'm sorry to hear that you were the poor soul next in line to remove these tires. He must work at a truck shop where no less than 200 ft lbs of torque are needed to hold nuts tight :o Hope you used a LOT of anti-seize compound so that these tires come off real easy in the fall.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Jschaf024

Post by Jschaf024 »

in all seriousness, is there a specific reason they'd all break like this? I assumed it was over torque/cross threading. I replaced the lug nuts and studs and noticed that they were finicky as is brand new, even when being careful. almost seemed like i'll have more problems eventually with this even when torqued properly. I've heard of people using a light grease but I am ignorant on this.
2005 - base. FWD
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Out of curiosity, were you removing the lugs with an impact wrench, or a traditional wrench/crowbar?
Jschaf024

Post by Jschaf024 »

Traditional four way with just my arms while kneeling. Some of them broke off with very little force required. Kind of scary
2005 - base. FWD
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

I wonder if the rims were the correct size for your Vibe or was there some mis-match and therefore the holes weren't lined up properly? If not, that is really sad and I'd be ticked as well.

I had about 5 (in total) of my lug nuts stripped at Wal-mart by someone that cross threaded and then just continued to tighten them on down. So I stopped using their auto department. They supposedly run a tire shop but do not even stock replacement lug nuts.
2005 Base - 220k
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Jschaf024 wrote:I wasn't aware you could buy/sell/ trade here. That's great! Really glad I discovered the site. Thanks to everyone
Here is your exchange thread:

viewforum.php?f=46
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476