replacing tires

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
pilarskica

replacing tires

Post by pilarskica »

So I've got a 2010 base vibe and i'm planning on finally replacing the tires I have on it. Any thing I should do / worry about the TPMS sensors and stems ? It seems like they bolt on but i'm assuming i'd have to at least replace the stems?

Any help?

Thanks
Caretaker

Re: replacing tires

Post by Caretaker »

You don't ever replace the TPMS stems unless they crack or fail. From my experience, the ones Toyota gave us at assembly are quite hearty, especially compared to the ones on my Hyundai in which three have broken. If you meant to say you are replacing the rims, then that is a different matter. I recently saw at my local Discount Tire that they now make two different types of TPMS stems. One is rubber and flexible and can be unscrewed from the actual monitor base should it ever get damaged. That way you don't need to replace the whole monitor, just the top of the stem. As far as tire selection, give a LONG look at the Pirelli P7 Plus. I have them on my Vibe and think they are every bit as good as Michelin except in very hard cornering. Great, soft, and quiet ride.
pilarskica

Post by pilarskica »

No i'm using the factory steel rims. I remember reading that TPMS sensors should last around 5 years so I didn't know if people were changing the sensors every new set of tires or not. I didn't want to have to spend two days at the tire place if I didn't need ot.

Thanks
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Discount Tire changed out my 4 sensors in 30 minutes, but then found out that there is something wrong with my Hyundai programming and they could not get my TPMS light to go out. I had them put back on the 4 rubber stems without the monitor. My light will stay on forever. Point being: the tire store won't charge you for taking your tires off and putting them back on should you ever require a new TP monitor. Just wait for it to fail. I wouldn't treat it as a preventative maintenance item.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Most TPM sensor batteries will last ~10 years. Most of them use the same battery that a computer has in it to retain the BIOS information and they last 10 to 15 years. When was the last time you had to change the little round battery on your motherboard?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

We got new tires on both our 09 GTs just over a year ago. I had the shop remove the TPMS sensors and install regular valve stems. I had already disabled the TPMS in both Vibes a couple years prior to avoid having the light on when we switched wheels and tires during the winter months. The TPMS is very easy to disable.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

When I replaced the tires on my '09 Vibe GT two years ago, the technician accidentally broke one of my O.E.M. TP sensors and had to replace it. I think the manager went with the VDO brand.

Anyway, when it came time to synch the sensors to my car's on-board monitoring system, he could not get it to do it using the "Pontiac Vibe GT" setting on his re-set tool. When I told him to try it again using "Toyota Matrix XRS" the device hooked right up and the light on the dash went out.