Matrix Alloy Wheels work for Vibe Winters

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Davicof

Matrix Alloy Wheels work for Vibe Winters

Post by Davicof »

I got a set of rims from a 2006 Matix and they work perfect as winter rims for my 2009 base Vibe. I'm thinking of putting my summers on these, and running the base steelies for the winters next year.

trb

Re: Matrix Alloy Wheels work for Vibe Winters

Post by trb »

Looks pretty good! I wonder if the black plastic Pontiac center cap fits on those wheels. What is the diameter? If you want some, I could pull you some from my pick a part cheap.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
MrWhoopee

Post by MrWhoopee »

Hey, those are my wheels! Did you get the correct lug nuts for those?

The nut on the right is correct for those wheels.

I picked up a set of New Beetle alloys with studded tires for mine. (They will be rebadged soon to avoid confusion)
Last edited by MrWhoopee on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
'06 Matrix Base AWD
trb

Post by trb »

MrWhoopee wrote:Hey, those are my wheels! Did you get the correct lug nuts for those?
Good point! Important to use the correct lug nuts on these Toyota alloy wheels.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Davicof wrote: I'm thinking of putting my summers on these, and running the base steelies for the winters next year.
X2 on that suggestion :D Those alloys look too nice to have the salt/brine destroy them with our winter driving. Steelies next winter and get yourself some good summer rubber to go on these!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Davicof

Post by Davicof »

MrWhoopee wrote:Hey, those are my wheels! Did you get the correct lug nuts for those?
The nut on the right is correct for those wheels.
Thanks for the lesson. Getting my stock nuts to seat on those rims was tricky, but they tightened down okay. Seeing your pictures made me curious about the differences, so I googled for more info.

These look like they'll fit right. http://www.canadiantire.ca/content/cana ... okoScYrKM8
MrWhoopee wrote: I picked up a set of New Beetle alloys with studded tires for mine.
Looks good. How hard is it to replace the center cap? I found a similar thread that says caps aren't the same size. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30129
MrWhoopee

Post by MrWhoopee »

Davicof wrote: These look like they'll fit right. http://www.canadiantire.ca/content/cana ... okoScYrKM8
MrWhoopee wrote: I picked up a set of New Beetle alloys with studded tires for mine.
Looks good. How hard is it to replace the center cap? I found a similar thread that says caps aren't the same size. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30129
Yes, those appear to be the correct nuts. I assume that Toyota used the large washer to provide more contact surface with the alloy, possibly due to a strength issue. I would not run those wheels with a cone-seat nut, they may fracture and fail.

I'm not replacing the center caps, I ordered 90 mm dia. Toyota logo stickers from these people:
http://3dcarstickers.com/index.php
Craig
'06 Matrix Base AWD
Davicof

Post by Davicof »

New nuts are on the wheels. So glad I got the unsafe one's off. Thanks for the help guys.