2006 TPMS

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
SaunaOtter

2006 TPMS

Post by SaunaOtter »

I had new tires put on my 2006 Automatic Pontiac VIbe AWD in June @ Firestone. TPMS came on later that month, they said all the sensors needed to be replaced. HOW is that even possible when this care DOES NOT have individual sensors? Are they just reading the code and saying that? Quoting $60-80 per tire... How do I get the light to go off for good? Went to Mieneke to get it looked at and it was off for maybe a day before it came back on. What is the problem?? The ABS light is not on, only TPMS and check engine for Cat efficiency.

Help?
2006 Automatic Vibe AWD
I named my Vibe Veronica. She just seemed so damn sassy on the lot that day....
ehoff121

Re: 2006 TPMS

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

If you still have the owner's manual, follow the procedure for resetting the TPMS step by step. Just pressing the button isn't enough- you have to drive for a while, too.

"The Tire Pressure Monitor System is designed to alert you when the system detects a large change in the pressure of one tire. The system cannot alert you before you drive that a tire is low or flat. You must begin driving before the system will work properly. The system works with the brake control system and is designed to detect differences in the tire rotation speeds that are caused by changes in tire pressure. The tire pressure monitoring system does not replace normal tire maintenance. A light on the instrument panel comes on then the tire pressure monitoring system detects a low-tire condition. This light will also come on for a few seconds and then go off when you turn the ignition to ON. This indicates that the tire pressure monitoring system is functioning properly. If the low-tire pressure comes on while driving your vehicle, the system may have detected a low-tire condition. You need to stop as soon as possible and check your tires for damage. Confirm that all four tires are at the specified pressure level shown on the tire and loading label located inside the handle of the drivers side.

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system on your vehicle will warn your when one of your tires is significantly under-inflated and when some combinations of your tires are significantly under-inflated. However, there are other combinations of significantly under-inflated tires for which your tire tire pressure monitoring system may not warn you. These other combinations are relatively common, accounting for approximately half the instances in which vehicles have significantly under-inflated tires. For example your, same side or on the same axle of your vehicle are significantly under-inflated. It is particularly important, therefore, for you to check the time pressure in all of you tires regularly and maintain proper pressure.

In order for the tire pressure monitoring system to work properly you will need to reset (initialize) the tire pressure monitoring system. Any time you check and/or adjust a tire's pressure, repair or replace a tire or wheel or rotate the tires the tire pressure monitor system needs to be reset. Do not reset (initialize) the system without first correcting the cause of the low-tire condition. If the system is reset when the tire pressures are incorrect, the system will not function properly and may not alert you when a tire is low.

To reset the system:
1. Park the vehicle is a safe place and apply the parking brake. Turn the engine off.
2. Turn the engine ON with the engine off.
3. If the low-pressure warning light is on, push the SET (reset) on a few seconds. The
(reset) on a few seconds. The low-tire warning light should go off. The reset button
is on the instrument panel to the left of the steering wheel.
4. Press and hold the SET (reset) button until the low-tire warning light comes on and
flashes on/off three times. The tire pressure warning reset button starts the reset
(initialization) process.

If the low-tire pressure warning light does not flash when you hold the reset button,
the system may be malfunctioning and needs service. See a GM dealer for service.

The system completes the reset (initialization) process after driving vehicle speeds
of at least 19 mph to 62 mph for more than one hour. Do not push the SET (reset)
(reset) button while driving, If you do initialization process will not be performed. The
The initialization process can take up to approximately one hour of driving under the
following conditions:
The vehicle speed is between 31 mph and 62 mph.
The roads are dry, smooth and straight.
The number of passengers is one or two (including the driver).

The low-tire pressure warning light may not come on even if the tire inflation pressure is low, or it may come on when the tire inflation pressure is set correctly under the following circumstances:

A compact spare tire,snow tires, or tire chains are installed on your vehicle.

The tires are over-inflated, or the tire inflation pressure suddenly drops due to
bursting or other causes.

The vehicle is driven on a slippery road surface such as rough or frozen roads.

The vehicle speed is less than 19 mph and the driving duration is less than five
minutes.

The tires are made by a different manufacturer or different tread pattern than the
original equipment tires.

Rapid acceleration/deceleration or multiple consecutive sharp turns.

The vehicle is loaded over the limit or not.balanced properly.

The initialization (reset) procedure was not performed correctly after replacing or
rotating tires or wheels.

The outside temperature is below 32*F or above 104*F."
Last edited by ehoff121 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
SaunaOtter

Post by SaunaOtter »

I live in Arizona and the car was purchased in CT (drove her cross country in the snow) The temperature is frequently over 104, should I bother resetting it every time in the summer?
2006 Automatic Vibe AWD
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Once it is properly set, it will likely not light up again unless there is a problem.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
SaunaOtter

Post by SaunaOtter »

Reset it following your instructions and nothing back on yet. Thank you! :)
2006 Automatic Vibe AWD
dragon64

Post by dragon64 »

This answer is a little late. There is a non replaceable battery in most TPMS sensors. They normally last 7 to 10 year before you have to replace the sensor.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts