Looking to go with slightly wider tires

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Capnblinski

Looking to go with slightly wider tires

Post by Capnblinski »

Does anyone know what the size would be if I went with a slightly wider tire. I have the standard 16" wheels (that all Vibes seem to get that surface rust on) with 205/55 tires. My Camry has 205/65's as original, but I use 215/60's.
Last edited by Capnblinski on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2001 Camry
2009 Vibe
2014 FJ Cruiser cmf
Mark

Re: What is tread width one size up from standard

Post by Mark »

I've found this site http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to be very useful.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
ImUrOBGYN

Re: Looking to go with slightly wider tires

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Without getting into handling and tire type and contact patch, etc, going a size wider is no real biggie. Especially, since you're going to a lower sidewall. Having a slightly larger or small radius wheel isn't that big of a deal either but in these cars, you have to worry about going too large a radius since that will make it harder and harder to land in lift between shifts, absolutely killing your momentum on a track, a back road or straight line run.
Last edited by ImUrOBGYN on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Capnblinski

Post by Capnblinski »

Was pondering a size 215/60 on the factory sixteen wheel..
2001 Camry
2009 Vibe
2014 FJ Cruiser cmf
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

205/55-16 - Diameter: 24.88in
215/60-16 - Diameter: 26.16in

Difference in diameter: 1.28in or 5.1% difference in diameter. I would really consider a smaller sidewall. At least a 55 but would be tempted to go 50. Remember, a 55 series sidewall on a 215 tire is actually a taller sidewall than a 55 series sidewall on a 205 width wheel.

What exactly are you wanting to accomplish? This would help us help you.

Anyone recall what the diameter of the OE 17in wheel is offhand?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

OE 17" is, I believe, 17x7. Or at least that's what my summer wheels are, and they use the 17" Vibe OE tire size of 215/50/17. Since I'm putting new tires on I've considered going up to 225/45/17s, but likely wont. Also, I wouldn't go too wide on OE 16s. Onl so wide a tire will fit.

General rule of thumb: Up by 10 on the width, down by 5 on the aspect ratio. So 205/55 --> 215/50.
FarmerRick

Post by FarmerRick »

Capnblinski wrote:Was pondering a size 215/60 on the factory sixteen wheel..
I just mounted up a set of 215/60R16 Hankook H727s this morning on my stock 16" steelies, will be putting them on the car this evening. It's my 4th set of these tires I've had on various vehicles(but 1st on my Vibe). They seem to hold up rather well to the gravel roads in my area.

I'm hoping the ride will be a bit better with the taller sidewall. My speedometer reads a bit high anyway, so the taller tires should help out instead of hurt in that department.

I'll try to report back in the next few days on the results.
“The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
“Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FarmerRick

Post by FarmerRick »

Well, results are mixed with the larger tires.

The ride is better, the difference is not huge, but is worth it to me.
The speedo now reads about 58.5 mph when I am going 60 mph, according to my GPS.
I don't feel much difference in cornering, but I'm not what one would consider a "sporty" driver.
Along those lines, I do just barely notice that the engine seems to have a bit less "pep", due to the effective change in gearing due to greater circumference.

All in all, I feel the change was worth it.
“The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
“Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.”
― Thomas Jefferson
dragon64

Post by dragon64 »

I gone to 225-50-16" exact same diameter as a 205-55-16"
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts