Shopping for new tires

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Morwenna88

Shopping for new tires

Post by Morwenna88 »

Hey everybody, I have a 2004 AWD Vibe and it looks like it's time to replace my tires because my treads are getting worn. I try to learn as much as I can about my car, but I would not call myself car-savvy, so I came here for some advice. My car takes 205/55/16 and I am looking for some decent affordable tires, nothing fancy, but definitely all-weathers because I live in snowy Montana. First of all, I am wondering if I would need to buy entire new rims if I were to possibly get 17" tires, and I'm wondering if radial tires are a good option, or if they don't offer as smooth of a ride.
vibrologist

Re: Shopping for new tires

Post by vibrologist »

Hi Morwenna88:
If you like to change to 17" tires you need to buy 17" rims. If you were to change to 17" rims and tires you would loose some ride comfort but the car would be cornering a little better. If you are into driving as fast as possible it would make sense. But you also mentioned you like a smooth ride. If that is more important to you than whipping around corners stay with the 16" rims and tires.

You want a reasonable price and good traction in snow with all season tires. Someone noted that Uniroyal Tiger Paws do really well in snow and they are not very expensive. They are made by Michelin.

Your question about the radial tires: the vibe is designed for radial tires. "Radial" refers to the design of the webbing under the tread that give the tire the structural strength. Another design was "Bias-Ply". This design is completely outdated and only used on old, classic cars and some special applications. In other words: don't worry about that question, you will get radial tires, not bias ply, no matter if you buy all season, winter tires or performance tires. They all are radials.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Morwenna88

Post by Morwenna88 »

Thank you for all of that info! I will stick with the 16" tires then, and I will look into the Tiger Paws.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

It should also be noted that most all-season tires do terrible in the snow.

The all-season tires I have used are FALKEN Sinceras and Arizonian Silver Editions. Both are pretty nice.

I had the factory RS-A tires as well and they're just horrible.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Stay with the 16's and definitely buy one of these reasonably priced tires: Hankook H727s. Very good snow traction, and a very good overall all season tire. Plenty of places to buy on line. I also recommend the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus. They are even more quiet than my former Michelin MXV4s. Plenty of great online sites to buy from. If you belong to the big box stores, I believe Sam's sells the Pirelli. Check them both out on tirerack.com. I have the former on my Hyundai Elantra Touring, and the latter on my Vibe.
Morwenna88

Post by Morwenna88 »

I have to buy all-season tires because I really can't afford a separate set of snow tires. However, I've been driving on snow for years with all-season tires and it really has a lot to do with the skills of the driver too. I have 200 lbs of sand in the back of my car to help with traction, it really helps. I'll take a look at the tires you guys mentioned. Thanks!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Morwenna88 wrote:I have to buy all-season tires because I really can't afford a separate set of snow tires. However, I've been driving on snow for years with all-season tires and it really has a lot to do with the skills of the driver too. I have 200 lbs of sand in the back of my car to help with traction, it really helps. I'll take a look at the tires you guys mentioned. Thanks!
I totally agree with your statement. My parents and I live about 60 miles west of Chicago and have never driven with anything other than all season tires during the winter months. We have never had any major issues getting around.

As far as the sand goes, I thought that extra weight only really helped if the vehicle was RWD (rear wheel drive)? I know my dad puts a few sandbags in the back of his s10 which is RWD.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

As far as the sand goes, I thought that extra weight only really helped if the vehicle was RWD (rear wheel drive)? I know my dad puts a few sandbags in the back of his s10 which is RWD.
I had the same reaction and I checked: Morwenna88 has an AWD. The added weight helps when the AWD kicks in and I suppose the AWD kicks in earlier as well.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

Morwenna88

Post by Morwenna88 »

I definitely noticed a huge difference when I added the weight. Before I added weight, I would slide very easily, even when I was being careful and going slow. After I added it, I felt a lot safer and in control and better able to stop.
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

Morwenna88 wrote:I really can't afford a separate set of snow tires.
If you are feeling balls-y you could just buy fronts. I ran a set up with dunlop graspics in front and all seasons rear over 410 Pass in WA. Front snows give you increadable increases in stoping distance in sub-freezing dry temperatures. Just be reeel smoth on the brakes when turning on ice.
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Morwenna: I failed to mention the tires I have on my Honda Fit: the General Altimax RT-43. I bought this new model of tire because they were cheap and had very good early reviews on Tire Rack. I just went back yesterday and re-read the reviews as well as the latest ones from northern climate regions, which include very positive comments driving in heavy snow. Looks like you should add that one to your research list as well.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Front snows give you incredible increases in stopping distance in sub-freezing dry temperatures.
Is this really what you wanted to say? I thought they would give you increases in stopping performanceor decreases in stopping distance. Please clarify.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

vibrologist wrote:
Front snows give you incredible increases in stopping distance in sub-freezing dry temperatures.
Is this really what you wanted to say? I thought they would give you increases in stopping performance or decreases in stopping distance. Please clarify.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

kumquat

Post by kumquat »

GTwannabe wrote:
Morwenna88 wrote:I really can't afford a separate set of snow tires.
If you are feeling balls-y you could just buy fronts. I ran a set up with dunlop graspics in front and all seasons rear over 410 Pass in WA. Front snows give you increadable increases in stoping distance in sub-freezing dry temperatures. Just be reeel smoth on the brakes when turning on ice.
Front snows also make it really easy to induce oversteer and spins since the front tires have way more traction than the rear.

This is the reason virtually all tire shops refuse to install snow tires on the front only. It's very dangerous.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I just put Cooper CS3 Touring tires (http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenge ... uring.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on both my Vibes a few months ago and am very happy. Quiet, smooth ride and great handling. Very good traction on packed snow and ice, but definitely not a good tire for digging through deep snow. But they got around in 6-8 inches ok after our last good snow.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibenvy wrote:As far as the sand goes, I thought that extra weight only really helped if the vehicle was RWD (rear wheel drive)? I know my dad puts a few sandbags in the back of his s10 which is RWD.
vibrologist wrote:I had the same reaction and I checked: Morwenna88 has an AWD. The added weight helps when the AWD kicks in and I suppose the AWD kicks in earlier as well.
Morwenna88 wrote:I definitely noticed a huge difference when I added the weight. Before I added weight, I would slide very easily, even when I was being careful and going slow. After I added it, I felt a lot safer and in control and better able to stop.
I did not know that. Good to know!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Morwenna88

Post by Morwenna88 »

So I got another flat two days ago and decided, that's it, I need new tires NOW! I went to a local tire place and they had some very affordable Mastercraft MC-440s. I went in early this morning, got them installed, and they're really nice! Later on I read some reviews on them and they seem to be pretty good tires. I can definitely feel the difference when I drive. I feel more solid and my car handles easier, I don't feel like I'm riding on squishy old bald tires that could go flat at any minute. Hooray! :mrgreen:
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Amazing what new tires can accomplish.

With new tires it makes sense to have the wheel alignment checked and adjusted if needed. That way you make sure to get them to wear evenly.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Morwenna88

Post by Morwenna88 »

Yeah I think that's what they did. They also checked the condition of my engine, fluid levels, brake pads, and gave me quotes on what else I needed to have done soon. So, transmission fluid and front brake pads this summer when I have a bigger paycheck. :)