"H" is for hassel? Tire speed ratings.

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Chiadog

"H" is for hassel? Tire speed ratings.

Post by Chiadog »

I tried unsuccessfully to have Walmart mount and balance 4 new 195-65-15" Hankook 727 tires (2000 Chrysler Cirrus rims) on my 2005 Vibe. They were a little concerned about mounting 15" tires on a vehicle which only lists 16" rims available, but THAT wasn't the deal-breaker.
The Hankook 727's are "H" speed rated, not the higher "T" rated tires required by the Vibes door panel specification. For liability reasons Walmart wouldn't mount a lower speed rated tire on my Vibe!
Actually, one of the Managers tried to help me out but I missed his line of reasoning at the time. This Manager asked me if these Hankooks were my "Winter" tires. I answered "no, just normal use All-season tires". Had I said: "These are my Winter-only tires", I think they would probably have mounted them for me.
I'm having a small independent shop mount and balance the tires later today, I don't anticipate any speed rating discussion.
JPark

Re: "H" is for hassel? Tire speed ratings.

Post by JPark »

Chiadog wrote:I tried unsuccessfully to have Walmart mount and balance 4 new 195-65-15" Hankook 727 tires (2000 Chrysler Cirrus rims) on my 2005 Vibe. They were a little concerned about mounting 15" tires on a vehicle which only lists 16" rims available, but THAT wasn't the deal-breaker.
The Hankook 727's are "H" speed rated, not the higher "T" rated tires required by the Vibes door panel specification. For liability reasons Walmart wouldn't mount a lower speed rated tire on my Vibe!
Actually, one of the Managers tried to help me out but I missed his line of reasoning at the time. This Manager asked me if these Hankooks were my "Winter" tires. I answered "no, just normal use All-season tires". Had I said: "These are my Winter-only tires", I think they would probably have mounted them for me.
I'm having a small independent shop mount and balance the tires later today, I don't anticipate any speed rating discussion.
H is a higher speed rating than T, not lower.
See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JPark on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

My Firestone store will go one rating below the factory spec and will go any rating above.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

JPark wrote: H is a higher speed rating than T, not lower.
See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My mistake! I had "H" and "T" mixed up! Sorry for any confusion.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

beemerphile1 wrote:My Firestone store will go one rating below the factory spec and will go any rating above.
Very good to know! Thanks, Beemerphile1.
trb

Post by trb »

My local Sears store would not sell me any tires below a V rating for my Mustang many years ago, since it originally came with the V rated Gatorback tires. Didn't matter that I had H rated tires on it, and no way I would exceed 130 on them. So they just lost the sale.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Raven

Post by Raven »

BTW Good choice on the Hankook 727, you won't be disappointed.

They're covering their butts legally. I don't think you'll be driving much at 130 mph anyways. I haven't even reached 100 mph in mine. 85 mph is quite comfortable though. (closed course under adult supervision).
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

In your case, one speed rating lower is not an issue as long as the tire is capable of the proper load. As was mentioned above, we live in a very litigious society and they must cover the butts, and some their good conscious, with your safety in mind.

Any reason why you didn't go for an OE spec replacement?

Otherwise, enjoy some new tires! Just had some thrown on the RAV today. :D
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

ImUrOBGYN wrote: Any reason why you didn't go for an OE spec replacement? :D
Yes, I had a set of 727's on my old Saturn and I was thoroughly impressed with them, especially on snow! I like the 15" rims because the extra sidewall height softens the ride.
I had the opportunity to test the 727's in the rain today and I am very pleased with their grip on wet pavement!
robtco99

Post by robtco99 »

I had a buick regal a couple years ago with a new set of the 727's and they were great in the snow. They would be at the top of my list if I were looking for all season tires, long tread life, good in all weather conditions, and a pretty low price.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I just looked on the door pillar on both Vibes and don't see anything at all related to load/speed ratings. Just two tire sizes and recommended inflation pressure.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Raven wrote:BTW Good choice on the Hankook 727, you won't be disappointed.

They're covering their butts legally. I don't think you'll be driving much at 130 mph anyways. I haven't even reached 100 mph in mine. 85 mph is quite comfortable though. (closed course under adult supervision).
I believe the governed speed limiter is at 110 mph anyway.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit