It's steelies, Dan. -Steel wheel love

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
ScreamRealLoud

It's steelies, Dan. -Steel wheel love

Post by ScreamRealLoud »

Hi all,

Newb here so if this has been covered 1,000 times over I apologize but after scrolling through pages in this section I didn't seen any recent posts.

So I have an 09 2.4L base Vibe and I'd like to ditch the stock hubcaps but keep the steelies.
Couple of reasons why, just in case you're curious:
1) I'm cheap. I realize the gains aesthetically and performance-wise of alloy wheels but at the end of the day I don't think the return on investment for upgraded alloy wheels is worth the coin.
2) I prefer the understated look. Nothing wrong with being brash, but my preference is understated. It makes it more entertaining when I pass them.

With all that out of the way, here's my thoughts on what to do.
1) HubCap Mike's has Mooneyes in 16s. Those are hard to find otherwise. Cheap. Easy. Slap 'em on with a bit of silicon and away I roll. Super easy. Cheap. Simple.
2) Mike's also has chrome trim rings AND hub cap spyders. A bit more, especially with the spyders but still it achieves the effect I'm after.

That's it. That's all I've come up with.
I'm curious, does anyone run or seen/know of other options out there? Anyone seen other steel center cap covers? I've seen some posted on the Scion boards but I have no clue if they will work or not.

Thanks for reading!

Jamie
tpollauf

Re: It's steelies, Dan. -Steel wheel love

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Jamie :D I have 16" steelies for my Vibe GT winter tires and just went with some real cheap clip on plastic Taiwanese covers (wheeew that's a mouthful!). I didn't know if anything would fit the steel rims other than a full wheel cover. Post pics of what you have in mind. Also post pics of your ride & fill us in on more details (location, how long you've owned it, mileage, etc.)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Jamie! As tpollauf said, give us more info on your Vibe. Better yet, post some pictures when you get a chance ;).

Here is a picture of the wheels (16" steelies with chrome trim rings) on Nitetrain's 2009 2.4L Base Vibe. You'll have to PM him and ask him for details though, as I do not know the specifics of where he got them, etc. They do look pretty good though.

2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

... or just buy my Mooneyes 16" trim rings that I am trying to sell here :)

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=40472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More pics in the early pages of my garage (link in my sig below)
ScreamRealLoud

Post by ScreamRealLoud »

These are what I'm leaning towards...

http://www.hubcapmike.com/rdc01-16.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or these
http://www.hubcapmike.com/trim-rings-smooth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

ScreamRealLoud wrote:These are what I'm leaning towards...

http://www.hubcapmike.com/trim-rings-smooth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey... those are the exact ones I'm selling! Be curious to see if they are still in stock, everywhere else I checked was sold out except some place in Japan charging $140 for the set. Good luck, but if it doesn't work out hit me up :)
kostby

Post by kostby »

Welcome to the GenVibe family! Love your cultural references to Becker & Fagen and Paul Reubens!

I have nothing of substance to add to the conversation, except that historically, you need wide wide whitewalls to go with those chrome bottle-caps and trim rings... on a '49 Ford flathead! Image

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
ScreamRealLoud

Post by ScreamRealLoud »

I'd love to run some whitewalls on there, for a very unique look!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I love steelies with trim rings - or even without. Here's a pic of my '86 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo in 1997 right before I sold it. If I had this car now, I'd pull the center caps and use chrome lug nuts.

Hey I just realized too that I owned that Mirage for 11 years and never got any curb rash. I've not been that lucky since then.

1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).