Grinding...Possible Wheel Bearing?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
msmyer

Grinding...Possible Wheel Bearing?

Post by msmyer »

Hi all-

Interesting couple of days for my 2003 Vibe...

Friday noticed a rattling sounds coming from my wheel-well this primarily happened when stopped at a red light or even at idle.

Took it to the shop (Monday) and took them out to demonstrate but it didn't make the noise. Today, Thursday the noise came back but worse. Now, in normal drive the car "pulls" to the left. At first thought, possibly a bad wheel bearing or bolt.

Thoughts? Anyone else had this problem? If so how much was the fix?
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
Chiadog

Re: Grinding...Possible Wheel Bearing?

Post by Chiadog »

My thought is : DON'T DRIVE IT! until you know what is wrong. Sounds like a wheel bearing or steering/suspension failure. Raise the front end on Jackstands and see what is loose up there! Good luck.
chiadog
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

msmyer wrote: Friday noticed a rattling sounds coming from my wheel-well this primarily happened when stopped at a red light or even at idle.
Which side of the car makes the noise?

I doubt it's a wheel bearing or suspension or steering if it makes a noise while stopped at a red light.

The pulling to one side could be related or a separate issue from the noise you hear when stopped.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

When does it pull to one side? Can check for alignment, and also do what Chia suggested and see if anything's loose or if any boots are split open and leaking grease everywhere.

Oh, and check for abnormal tire wear. When you're checking for wear on the inside sidewall, be careful--if it's worn down to the metal wires inside the tires, you might cut your hand.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit