Will a stock sized tire fit on new rims?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
DRYfrosty04

Will a stock sized tire fit on new rims?

Post by DRYfrosty04 »

I know its not much of a size difference to go from a stock 16x6.5 to a 16x7 but will the stock tire fit on that rim?
SeattleJeremy

Re: Will a stock sized tire fit on new rims?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Yes, most tires specify a two inch leeway for rim sizes.
A 205 wide tire, for instance, will normally fit a 5.5-7.5" wheel.

What wheels are you looking at?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

I have 16x7 rims with stock sized tires, no issues SeattleJeremy is right.
DRYfrosty04

Post by DRYfrosty04 »

I'm really just shopping around and looking at what looks shmexy on it. definately 17s or 18s but im not sure if i will like a low pro tire's ride. I just got new tires so i want to wait a bit for the new tires to wear down.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Yeah definitely make sure you know which rims you want. I want 17's but the potholes where I'm from are ridiculous and the roads are rough on the vibes suspension as well.
REN69

Post by REN69 »

it will fit... 7" is not a big stretch really, won't even make a dent in the install.
1984 Supra RWD - my beater -- 2004 Vibe AWD - wife's beater -- 2005 Corolla XRS - my daily
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

I drive Maine roads and the 17s have endured the pot holes after Winter. Don't get a super low profile tire, though, they ride rough and don't do really well on broken pavement. Here in Maine, I wouldn't go less than a 50 sidewall. I have 205/45 16s on my old Honda, and I'm really careful with those. I know a lot of people that have bent and broken expensive wheels riding on 40 series sidewalls.

There are a bunch of aftermarket wheels that will fit a Vibe. Offsets that work well are 38 to 45 mm. My Summer wheels are 38 mm offset 17X7 Borbet Type CA. 38 mm offset puts the front wheel close to the wheel lip edge or almost flush. The rears are a little farther inside the wheel well. A 5 to 10 mm spacer would probably bring it out just enough to match the front wheel. I haven't done that.

You can use TireRack's (tirerack.com) or Discount Tire Direct (discounttiredirect.com) to see all the wheels available for your Vibe and how they would look on your car. I think on TireRack there are something line 242 wheels that they say fit the car. Lot's of choices. There are other places you can find wheels for your Vibe... even locally where you live.

Take your time and chose the ones you like. It's a big investment and with the right tire, will really help your Vibe perform. What tires are on your Vibe now?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
REN69

Post by REN69 »

vibebolista, you have any close up pics of your car?? I found a set of 17x7 ET38's for a good price, just curious as to what the size looks like and what tire size you run.
1984 Supra RWD - my beater -- 2004 Vibe AWD - wife's beater -- 2005 Corolla XRS - my daily
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

REN69 wrote:vibebolista, you have any close up pics of your car?? I found a set of 17x7 ET38's for a good price, just curious as to what the size looks like and what tire size you run.
My signature picture shows the 17 inch Borbet Type CA with 38mm offset. My tires are 225/50 17. My son also runs a 38mm offset 17 inch wheel in the Summer.

The wheel and tire sit just inside the wheel well opening in front (almost flush) and a little farther inside the in the rear wheel well. I wouldn't go with anything less than 38mm. The factory 17 inch Vibe wheel has an offset of 45 and is almost 1/2 inch farther inside the wheel well.

I like the way a 38mm offset wheel fits on an '03-'08 Vibe. Lower offsets, like 35 would put the tire edge outside the wheel well line.

'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires