Interchangeable Rims?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
bikejon

Interchangeable Rims?

Post by bikejon »

I am trying to find a pair of steel rims for my 03 Vibe, but they're either impossible to find or too expensive.

I know Matrix rims are the same, but I thought someone said Corolla rims can be used too.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Scwmcan

Re: Interchangeable Rims?

Post by Scwmcan »

Yes for the first generation vibes, and for the base 1.8 l 2009+ Vibres, Corolla wheels will work just fine.
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

Awesome! Mine is a 2003 which was the 1st year if I'm not mistaken.
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

Actually, the Corolla rims I see online are all 15". The Vibe rims are 16"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The Corolla 15" wheels fit the Vibe.
However, the 14" wheels do not fit.

Toyota Celica and Scion tC wheels fit too.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

But my tires are 16"
Scwmcan

Post by Scwmcan »

I take it you mean that you want to use your old tires with the "new" rims, in that case you will need to try to find 16" rims from a corrolla which I am pretty sure would be after market. Depending on how old your tires are it may be cheaper to get new 15" tires and rims, but of course we don't know what shape your tires are in so can't really comment too much on that.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Wheels with a bolt pattern of 5x100 (5 lugs, 100mm spacing) will also fit. I have rims from a PT Cruiser on my Vibe right now. Other wheels that would work will be certain VW's, GM compact FWD cars per-Cobalt (Cavalier, Sunfire, Corsica, etc), Dodge Neon (including SRT4), and several others. Just search "5x100" on Craigslist.
trb

Post by trb »

Ditto on the craigslist search. As long as the backspacing is about 40mm and the center hole is the same size for the hub, they should fit fine. Also look on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you might find some close to you. Yes, the Vibe and Matrix are the only ones with the exact same wheels, 16"x 6-1/2", so if you need to replace just a couple, you will have to buy only Vibe or Matrix wheels. One thing to consider, the places on car-part.com also can ship their parts across the country. Prices for the wheels start at $25-30 each and up. Shipping would run probably $25-30+ each.

Corollas did have a few alloy wheels in the 16" size, but they are going to run $75-100 each plus shipping.

FWIW, I bought a set of 17" Vibe alloy wheels from two sellers on ebay for a grand total of $230 shipped. But it did take me a month to find them and buy all 4 wheels.

Here are some of the 16" alloys on ebay for $65 each shipped as long as you are in the US. It doesn't say they have all 4 so you might ask. If so, that is a good deal as long as it includes the center caps too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06-07- ... 93&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few others on ebay for a bit more. If you just need a pair, maybe you could buy two now and get the other two later.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

Thank you very much guys! I will start with carpart.com.

I just bought two new snow tires. I want to mount them on their own rims so I can just swap the wheels rather then the tires.
I did this a couple years ago and had no trouble getting steel rims locally for $50 each. Now I can't find them.

But this info helps.
Scwmcan

Post by Scwmcan »

Okay, but I hope you are running four snow tires, it really isn't good to only run two as the differences in traction can do weird things. You would be much better off with all four.
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

Yes, these two are replacements, rounding it out to 4 snows
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

ive got 15's from a jetta on mine...
gave1002

Post by gave1002 »

thebarber wrote:ive got 15's from a jetta on mine...
Do you know the offset of those Jetta wheels?
lm7212

Post by lm7212 »

I just bought 16" Cavalier 5 spoke rims, they look just like the 5 spoke split set on the Scion TC. $165 for the full set, chrome with no real corrosion on them. Cool looking, hope the hub size matches, or I will be doing some machining tomorrow.

Anybody got advise on the right Mag wheel lug nuts? Lugnutguys on ebay says the M12 1.5 is not the right size, but they don't have a model search feature that suggest right sizing. Will try Rockauto, but if someone knows a part # or brand and size, you would make my weekend!

Just a side note, I had great luck with Continental Extreme Contact tires. Lasted around 54k, they corner great and look good on my '05 5 spd. Good sure footing. Firestone Wide Oval seem to last a long time too. But I like sport tires.

Masonizer
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

lm7212 wrote:I just bought 16" Cavalier 5 spoke rims ...
hope the hub size matches
The hub is larger on the GM wheels. You will need to use a hub centric ring adapters to go from 57.1 od to 54.1 id.
Here are some examples.
Plastic - https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Performa ... 01JN0O8IW/
Aluminum - https://www.amazon.com/Hubcentric-Rings ... B00DIK3WYA
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
lm7212

Post by lm7212 »

Appreciate the hub advise. Yeah, uneasy feeling without them, appreciated. They had a clearance issue with the front disc breaks too, ugh. Kind of turned into a chore.