tire install problem question

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
shanghei

tire install problem question

Post by shanghei »

I went to Sams Club this afternoon to get new tires on my 03 Pontiac Vibe. When I went to pick it up it was about 7:20 pm and the tire department closed at 7:00pm so the manager gave me the receipt and my key back.
I drove about 1 mile and I heard a noise coming from the rear passenger tire. The noise only occurred when braking. It was like a thumping sound. I immediately pulled over and there was smoke coming out around the rear passenger side. So I drove the car back to sams club to leave my car there.

My question though is, what do you guys think went wrong? I figured something might be locked up but I am no car expert. The brakes are in the front and drums are in the back. I definitely think they did something wrong but so I dont look like an idiot tomorrow when I go back in the morning, anyone know what the problem could be?
thebarber

Re: tire install problem question

Post by thebarber »

shanghei wrote:I went to Sams Club this afternoon to get new tires on my 03 Pontiac Vibe. When I went to pick it up it was about 7:20 pm and the tire department closed at 7:00pm so the manager gave me the receipt and my key back.
I drove about 1 mile and I heard a noise coming from the rear passenger tire. The noise only occurred when braking. It was like a thumping sound. I immediately pulled over and there was smoke coming out around the rear passenger side. So I drove the car back to sams club to leave my car there.

My question though is, what do you guys think went wrong? I figured something might be locked up but I am no car expert. The brakes are in the front and drums are in the back. I definitely think they did something wrong but so I dont look like an idiot tomorrow when I go back in the morning, anyone know what the problem could be?
could have forgotten to tighten the wheel lugs all the way...

or something is rubbing

did it smell like burning rubber?

leave your ebrake on?