j42.snyder How much PSI you inflated to your Goodyear RSA?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
cq358

j42.snyder How much PSI you inflated to your Goodyear RSA?

Post by cq358 »

Is that true if you inflate more than factory spec 32 psi, the RSA will cup?
vibedrivermatt

Re: j42.snyder How much PSI you inflated to your Goodyear RSA? (cq358)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Well, I've filled my oem good year RSA's to atleast 44 or 45 psi. The max psi says 51 on the side of the tire. I like to keep my rsa tires around 42 psi, they're getting bald and I'm going to have to be replacing them soon with winter tires. I use summer tires during summer months and the RSA's for the winter currently. If you ask me, the best psi for goodyear RSA's is around 40 and 45 psi for the 2009 vibe. But, they're pretty crappy tires when in comes to having good traction in inclement weather.
Bedlam

Re: j42.snyder How much PSI you inflated to your Goodyear RSA? (vibedrivermatt)

Post by Bedlam »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »Well, I've filled my oem good year RSA's to atleast 44 or 45 psi. The max psi says 51 on the side of the tire. I like to keep my rsa tires around 42 psi, they're getting bald and I'm going to have to be replacing them soon with winter tires. I use summer tires during summer months and the RSA's for the winter currently. If you ask me, the best psi for goodyear RSA's is around 40 and 45 psi for the 2009 vibe. But, they're pretty crappy tires when in comes to having good traction in inclement weather. so you over-inflate your tires for better mileage and then complain about their horrible traction? seriously? Tires have to be somewhat pliable to grip in adverse weather conditions. Yea, you may get a crisper ride or ever so slightly better mpg's but the tires are designed to operate in the mid 30's psi range. I put a ~120k miles on my last vibe using 2 sets of RSA's. Sure there are stickier or longer lasting tires, but they do well for the money when properly inflated and with a proper alignment. Mine did well enough through rain and winter snow in New England when i kept them around 34-36psi and didn't get crazy with the go-pedal.
07 1ZZ 5spd Stealth - Sold
03 1ZZ 6spd Shadow w/NAV - For Sale
06 AWD Stealth - Current
07 Magnum SRT-8 - Current
vibedrivermatt

Re: j42.snyder How much PSI you inflated to your Goodyear RSA? (Bedlam)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

well 45 may be too mcuh. I like 42 psi as a personal preference. Also, I will usually go back to refine my posts after realising I had said something that might not be great advice for everybody but you quoted me. I feel these tires still had poor traction when filled in the mid 30's. They hydroplane pretty easily.
star_deceiver

Re: j42.snyder How much PSI you inflated to your Goodyear RSA? (vibedrivermatt)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »I feel these tires still had poor traction when filled in the mid 30's. They hydroplane pretty easily. Yes, even when new they hydroplaned very easily. They had great traction for the first 5000kms or so, then it seems they dropped off. I had them inflated, as I recall, to about 40psi give or take for their entire lives. There were time that I neglected checking the pressure to find that I had been driving around with tires at 32... and there was little difference in the traction when I bumped them back up. For the last month or so of their lives I had them at 50psi just to see what would happen. http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...12424They gave great mileage throughout their life and in the end were worn evenly across the tread.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I had the RS-A's inflated to spec for almost two years. From the beginning they had terrible traction - well, at least compared to my Civic with summer performance tires (first Kumho SPT's and then Hankook K1-oh- somethings). Maybe they are fine tires in their class, I don't know. I just know that in the rain they felt greasy, which made me feel a bit queasy because I could not trust them. I had them inflated to about 43 psi in front and 40 psi in back for almost 7500 miles. I didn't notice any difference. They seem to be wearing evenly, but quick because I suppose I like to put 'em thru their paces.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
j42.snyder

Re: j42.snyder How much PSI you inflated to your Goodyear RSA? (cq358)

Post by j42.snyder »

Sorry - usually check daily but must have missed this one!I typically try to keep them between 32 and 34. Even at that, I've noticed some very minimal cupping happening on the rear tires if left there for a period of time. The fronts seem to wear perfectly evenly. I'm guessing that the strange wear on the rear is from being heavily loaded at times when towing my boat and for camping duty. I generally don't tow in the winter at all, and the Blizzak's haven't shown any signs of unusual wear after about 30k. At the rate they're wearing, they're likely to die of age before I ever wear them out!I can't say I can complain about the traction on these tires as of yet - but I don't drive more aggressively than necessary. The traction control/stability system has never intervened yet with those tires on, nor have I ever experienced the ABS needing to do anything. This winter has been so mild here than I haven't heard a peep from the system with the Blizzak's on this year either. I take the RSA's off in November, and they go back on around April. I could check at home tonight, but I think the tread depth is still around 7/32" after a bit over 60,000 km of driving.I was just curious as to why you were asking me specifically about these...I guess maybe my driving habits save me money on more things than just gas. Brakes still looked like new when I last checked too - I think that was a little over 80,000km. My brother's just turned 100k, and we'll definitely be putting new stuff on at least the front this spring.John