16" stock... want 18" rims & I have drum brakes... help lol

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
hndlthis

16" stock... want 18" rims & I have drum brakes... help lol

Post by hndlthis »

Hi all... my Vibe is currently fitted with the stock 16" steel rims with hubcaps (205/55R16) with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.My bro would like to give me his old 18" rims/tires (225/40R18)... I'm new to this kind of stuff lol. He says it will work just fine and I trust him... I just don't know all the in's and out's lol.Will the new rims work with drum brakes? Will the new rims mess up my speedometer/odometer? Do I keep the same tire/wheel size ratio?Also, his tires are almost bald, so I'll need new tires. Do I get the same tires as he has? How do I know what tires fit on the 18" rims without screwing up my speedometer/odometer?Thanks for all your help in advance! You guys have helped me tremendously over the past few years since I got my Vibe
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

The wheels should work if the bolt pattern is 5x100 and the offset is about +35... there are a few here running 18's (AJflan/Merzbow comes to mind quickly) It might change your speedo, you need to look at a "tire size calculator" which you can easily Google... Plug in the stock size, plug in the new size, look at the difference.. some will even tell you how far off the speedo might read...!!!AFA getting new tires, WHAT tire you get is totally up to you, as long as they are of like size... We can help you get good, yet inexpensive tires too... Have you looked into prices for that size yet? That could make or break your decision to use them... depending on cost.. Don't know if this will work, but check this... https://www.tiresavings.com/ti...binedEDIT: I see my link doesn't work as I thought, just plug in the 225/40-18 in the top to look through the list of those sizes..I see the Federal SS-595 for The first tire on that list I have any actual time with is the Falken FK-452 (on my Subie now) at 137 per tire... lol...
keithvibe

Re: 16" stock... want 18" rims & I have drum brakes... help lol (hndlthis)

Post by keithvibe »

I'm running 18" rims for my summers. Other than that..... ^^^ what he said
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

how could I forgetz teh Keiffs... lol
Kamikaze

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Kamikaze »

Drums on the rear aren't a problem with the 18's. As for speedo being off, it shouldn't be off by much with 225/40/18's
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

to check and see how much the speedo will be off..go to this website..i've used this site numerous times http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.htmljust enter the stock size of the tires..then enter the ones you're getting off your brother to see how much of a difference you'll get when switching to wider tires/lower profileaccording to the site your speedometer will be 0.8% slower..meaning if the speedo shows you doing 60mph, you'll actually be doing 60.5..so you're good with the whole speedometer..also the size of the tires wont be a problem with the vibe..one guy on here has/had 19" on his vibe and dont think he had problems
hndlthis

Post by hndlthis »

Thanks SO much for the info and the speedo check link :-)With the speedo being a tad off, will that affect the mileage reading on my car? Or are the two un-related lol. I tend to overcomplicate things lol...I would think it wouldn't, because the the tire and wheel combo *I think* would technically be the same ratio as my stock tires?**EDIT: Did the calculator thing from the above post and it says the Revs/mile is off... is this what I'm talking about? lol and if so, is my concern true?

Attached files
Sublimewind

Re: (hndlthis)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by hndlthis »Thanks SO much for the info and the speedo check link :-)With the speedo being a tad off, will that affect the mileage reading on my car? Or are the two un-related lol. I tend to overcomplicate things lol...I would think it wouldn't, because the the tire and wheel combo *I think* would technically be the same ratio as my stock tires?You would likely see a decrease in mileage.. Not so much because of the difference in size, but more due to the difference in WEIGHT... Unsprung weight, like that of a wheel and tire combo, plays a large roll (lol) in how the car works.. efficiency wise.. You have a spinning mass, which when it's farther away from the center of spin and weighs more farther away from the center, you have more mass that needs to be accelerated and decelerated... The car will have to work harder to do BOTH... If by some way, you can be lighter than the stock wheels, with the aftermarket ones, then you would be golden... Big problem is, light wheels COST MONEY.. lol..
hndlthis

Post by hndlthis »

Does it matter if the odo is off? Warranty's up, so no worries there lol. Will it do damage to my car with the wheels being heavier? How would I find out if they're heavier? Is it printed on the rim... or do I break out the scale? lolThanks again, everyone!
Sublimewind

Re: (hndlthis)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by hndlthis »Does it matter if the odo is off? Warranty's up, so no worries there lol. Will it do damage to my car with the wheels being heavier? How would I find out if they're heavier? Is it printed on the rim... or do I break out the scale? lolThanks again, everyone!The ODO wouldn't be off that much... so no, not really... The only damage might come in brake pads not lasting as long and stopping distance possibly being longer... Bathroom scale... weigh the stock wheels and the others, note the difference...
hndlthis

Post by hndlthis »

Perfect! Thank you so much! :-)