Matrix wheels on 09 vibe?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
vibedrivermatt

Matrix wheels on 09 vibe?

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Hello Im wanting to put a set of 16" toyota matrix alloy wheels on my vibe and then put some pontiac center caps in them but, it looks like they each have different sized center caps...I think auto makers intentionally make the center caps different sizes so people cant interchange them...Oh well.. anybody have any ideas on how to do this?...
flavibegt

Re: Matrix wheels on 09 vibe? (vibedrivermatt)

Post by flavibegt »

Don't know if these will work, but I have a complete set of center caps off of a '09 Vibe GT. If you're interested I can measure them.
2009 Vibe GT, 5 speed
vibedrivermatt

Re: Matrix wheels on 09 vibe? (flavibegt)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

sure Im curious to know that. They would have to be 2.5". The center caps I found were 2.250".. I was thinking about forgetting this idea anyways and just getting 17" pontiac wheels though..Plus I dont know if I wanna buy your recalled center caps.
RXeckless

Post by RXeckless »

Will not fit, did the same thing and bought 4 Vibe Center Caps. the cap is the same size but the mounting mech is different.
vibedrivermatt

Re: (RXeckless)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

oh thanks for that info good to know. Im just gonna get toyota caps to fit into these wheels if I buy them.. I even have a clever idea to make some pontiac caps out of the toyota ones. Not sure if it will work but, Im gonna give it a try sometime down the road..
ColonelPanic

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I haven't seen the Matrix center cap, is it flat? You can always get the grafxwerks wheel center overlays if it does have a flat cap, just get the dimensions. Had those on a cheap set of wheel covers I had on mine for the winter.http://www.grafxwerks.com/prod...-1043
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibedrivermatt

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

those are neat but, the matrix caps are not flat. I think there's a way to make them flat with a dremel and sand paper but its kinda a gamble. My idea is to actually remove the center pontiac emblem piece from some hubcaps or center caps and then glue them to some modified toyota center caps. Im gonna use my awesome arts and crafts skills to try and attempt this. I'm into to building models and think this is doable. just trying to decide on the appropriate glue to get the job done without risk of the emblem flying off.hey maybe I could use those recalled center caps..
RadioFreeVibe

Re: Matrix wheels on 09 vibe?

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

Reviving this thread to talk about putting 2005-2006 16" Matrix alloy wheels on a first gen Vibe.

I got Matrix 16" alloys for $200 from Kijiji buy and sell. Had to buy mag-style lug nuts, so went the eBay route and bought a neo chrome finished set, they look nice. Also got Pontiac center caps from eBay. It's true the Pontiac center caps don't secure in the center bore holes, but that was overcome using rubber strips to pad them out (details below). It has been said many times Matrix wheels will mount perfectly on a Vibe but for me that will be proven once the ice thaws.

I experimented with padding out the Pontiac center caps with rubber strips so they will secure in the Matrix alloy wheel center bore. Basically I put a broccoli elastic around a plastic cap from a Listerine bottle and jammed it into the center of the Pontiac cap to give the cap's plastic tabs rigidity (perfect fit). I sliced the excess off the plastic bottle cap with a kitchen knife . Then I wrapped the outside of the Pontiac cap's plastic tabs with a short cut piece of v-groove rubber belt I had on hand (Hutchinson #1344051000). Then another broccoli elastic around the v-groove belt to hold it in place. This rubber and plastic sandwich flexes to fit the alloy wheel bore hole yet has enough structure to fit securely. The preceding is not a how-to, just a general idea to pad out the Pontiac cap with rubber to secure it in the center bore hole. I will report back after 1000km.

2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod